PDA

View Full Version : 2015 How can I make this residential roof?

patricks
2015-06-18, 01:59 PM
ughhh these dang house roofs are always crazy. I have a house with 9/12 "main" roof slope on the front and back, and 12/12 slope on the ends. The 12/12 ends also have a 9/12 flare at the bottom. I made those parts fine using a separate piece of 9/12 roof at the end, joined together. The main roof portion has its eaves NOT aligned, but Revit still made the roof without complaining, and it looks fine in section on all sides (bottom side of rafter aligned with top inner face of wall stud layer core).

The problem is with a wing off the back of the house, turned perpendicular to the main house massing. So that part needs to be 9/12 out at the end, and 12/12 on the sides to match the slope directions of the main roof. Problem is that I can't seem to make the 9/12 end, with a 17.5" overhang, and the 12/12 sides with a 1" overhang from core layer (9/12 flares would be added later) without Revit complaining saying it can't make the roof. I suspect it did the first roof because 9/12 was considered the "main" slope, but on this other one the 12/12 1" overhang is considered the "main" slope and so it won't make it with the 9/12 end.

I even tried making the roof manually, not picking walls, and setting the eave lines to the required overhangs, then raising the Plate elevation of the 12/12 sides to get the bottom of the rafter up to the top plate of the wall. But once again it said it couldn't make the roof.

Any suggestions?

dlpdi5b
2015-06-19, 03:39 AM
Typically i do roof by footprint on more complex roofs like this and you can just make a few planes at one time. The irregular hips angle in plan is just a right triangle with the two slopes like 9 and 12.

Just build each piece and then cut a section and raise the roof to the correct height.

Subdivide the problem.

patricks
2015-06-19, 04:04 PM
yuck, hate to resort to that, because it's going to be a major pain keeping everything lined up when the walls change.

patricks
2015-06-19, 04:35 PM
Ended up making it out of 4 separate pieces. I had to create a temporary roof with 9/12 and 12/12 sides first to get the locations of the hip lines, draw sketch lines over those, then delete the roof and make the 9/12 and 12/12 pieces separately along those sketched hip lines. Then I made narrow 9/12 pieces at the ends of the 12/12 eaves to create the flared out eave conditions.

Bit of a pain, and I hope it doesn't move too much.

dlpdi5b
2015-06-20, 09:43 AM
The other trick on complex roofs is to use ref planes for your hip and valley centerlines in the roof plan. Pin those ref planes then in the roof sketch align and lock to the ref planes.