PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8 and Building. Are they the same?

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-15, 10:42 PM
I keep reading about Revit and Revit Building. Are these the same products?

aaronrumple
2005-03-15, 10:57 PM
Same.

Autodesk likes to change the name of things. Keeps marketing busy.
They will also be developing Revit Structural, Revit MEP, etc....

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-15, 11:34 PM
Thanks.

It just got really confusing when ppl kept talking about Revit Building.

So I take it that Revit Structural etc will be separate products that we will have to fork out for if we need their "features" ?

aaronrumple
2005-03-15, 11:42 PM
No exact news yet. But probably.

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-16, 12:11 AM
Bastards!!!!!!!1

beegee
2005-03-16, 12:14 AM
Maybe a bit "over the top", Stephen ?

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-16, 12:31 AM
Nope.. Just sick and tired of forking out all this money..

Rols
2005-03-16, 12:41 AM
I wonder if some of the MEP elements will be included with Building? Sort of like how we can basically model structural elements now, but just can't do the analysis.
That would be pretty cool since most of our consultants are a long ways from making any moves to Revit. I would like to be at least able to model some of their elements in my building model, just for coordination.

beegee
2005-03-16, 01:17 AM
I think its reasonable that a new structural package ( that took a lot of time and effort to develop ) would not be given away and that not everyone who uses Revit would necessarily need the full structural program, so that the basic Revit price was not inflated by adding it in.

I'm assuming the basic ability to model structure in Revit will remain ( probably enhanced ? ) and that the Revit Structure will do a whole lot more.

If you need it - buy it. Makes sense to me.

Nope.. Just sick and tired of forking out all this money..

sultarc
2005-03-16, 01:25 PM
From what I saw last evening, there is not much need for architects to have structural. Mainly a structural engineer would take you building, extract the data he needs, add to it , analyze it and round trip it back into your building.

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-03-16, 10:32 PM
What if you are a structural draughtsman who does architecturals as well?

beegee
2005-03-16, 10:37 PM
Then you may be a candidate for both.

Wait till the Revit Structure is released and also see what improvements are made to structure in Revit Buiding 8.0, then you will be in a better position to decide. Revit Structural goes heavily into the analysis ( via export and reimport ).

What if you are a structural draughtsman who does architecturals as well?