PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Importing CAD into Revit

cadguyjoe
2015-06-26, 05:15 PM
I have been using AutoCAD since 2010 version; have no experience with Revit; have been researching webinars about its functions.
Can I import a CAD floor plan into Revit, add devices, then generate schedules for these items? And then export this back to CAD?

CAtDiva
2015-06-26, 05:58 PM
Technically, that workflow is feasible, but not ideal. One complication you're like to find is that "device" families (assuming you mean mechanical or electrical) are often wall or ceiling hosted, so without walls or ceilings, Revit won't be able to place them. But you can make your own families that are not hosted, so that's not necessarily a prohibitive issue.

(And welcome to AUGI!)

david_peterson
2015-06-26, 08:55 PM
You should never use the words "Import Cad" and "Revit" in the same sentence. Link Cad (kinda ok), Import Cad (very evil).
If you going to "generate" schedule from revit and dump back to cad, why bother?
Add an attribute block to your devices in Cad and export the data to excel, link excel back to Cad.

dkoch
2015-06-27, 03:27 AM
You should never use the words "Import Cad" and "Revit" in the same sentence. Link Cad (kinda ok), Import Cad (very evil).
If you going to "generate" schedule from revit and dump back to cad, why bother?
Add an attribute block to your devices in Cad and export the data to excel, link excel back to Cad.

Or spring for AutoCAD Architecture and schedule directly in that program. (Did I say that out loud?)

Duncan Lithgow
2015-07-06, 07:30 AM
I agree with all of the above. Don't import DWG files into Revit. Ever.

adham
2015-07-09, 08:27 PM
joe - everything everyone has said is true however it may seem like you are using the wrong terminology.

Import :: Revit as Insert :: AutoCAD
Link :: Revit as Xref :: AutoCAD

and for all CAD that comes into revit the best thing to do is a -wblock of only the needed elements than link as necessary.

If you own Revit I would say get trained up and go Revit! it does everything you are asking for and better. Otherwise there are a few ...ew... CAD processes listed to achieve the same effect