PDA

View Full Version : 2015 extrusion on column face

dznr27
2015-06-29, 05:30 PM
Please help me figure out how to create an extrusion on a column face. I realize that extrusion may not be the proper tool to use. I am at a loss as to how to achieve this. I am trying to create a purely aesthetic piece of a column that is man like figure extruded from the round / curved face of a column.

Kimberly Fuhrman
2015-06-29, 05:48 PM
Create a generic model on a vertical work plane. Use void cuts to emulate the curve of the column, as well as any detail features. Personally, I would create this as a family and insert it into the project.

dznr27
2015-06-29, 06:23 PM
This reply would be helpful for a simple extrusion but I am trying to create a stick man like figure. I can't see how this would not cut off some features of the figure creating an extrusion in this fashion.

david_peterson
2015-07-01, 01:09 PM
Can you provide a sketch/image of what you're trying to accomplish?
I'm sure we can you some great ideas.

dznr27
2015-07-15, 05:33 PM
Here is an image of the finished column. The extrusion of the man is what I am trying to accomplish.99978

dznr27
2015-07-16, 08:24 PM
Any suggestions guys?

david_peterson
2015-07-16, 08:45 PM
You'll have to have a specialty column and I wouldn't want to make it a structural type cause that just add a lot more complexity.
So you have one extrusion from the base to the first notch.
a second one at the notch, and a 3rd above that.
That gives you the round shape.
Next you'll need to create an extrusion or sweep (either one should work) in elevation and pass it thru the column.
This gives you the little guy.
Then you you'll need to create a void form to cut off the rest of the extrusion that created the little guy.
No idea how the heck you'd make that flex with with regards to the column dia and the little guy, but the rest is rather easy.

Edit.
Just for fun I think I'll try to make one quick.

david_peterson
2015-07-16, 09:04 PM
Here you go.
Again not a lot of flexibility in it, but....