PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Placed copied model onto another site

MikeJarosz
2015-06-30, 07:14 PM
I am working on four new Police Stations in suburban New York. Three of them are the same basic design. We completed the first model and it it under construction. The first model was copied and made into the second project. However, both of these projects ignored the site which was basically flat anyway. We are about to start the third project which is the same basic model, except mirrored. I mirrored a copy and examined it. There were some problems, mostly with annotation, but the result is usable.

The third site cannot be ignored however. The original model was placed at out-of-the-box elevation zero. The highest point of the third site is +10.00. (We're near the Atlantic coastline after all) There are a number of underground utilities running through the site that we don't want to disturb so we are going to have some interesting foundation conditions. So, I have to raise the model that was created at elevation +0.00 to +10.50 or higher. My first thought was to take level 1 and change it to +10.50. After much processing, Revit started giving me errors. I had to delete a lot of invalidated dimensions, that's OK. A lot of walls joins had to go, that's OK too. But then, I got errors about tops of walls that were below their base and no option to ignore, only to cancel. So it looks like changing the level 1 elevation isn't going to work.

Is there a way to move the whole project up 10.50 feet, other than change the level 1 height, without generating unrecoverable errors? Because this is a basically complete model intended for construction, not a sketchy design model, there is a lot of detail in it.

CAtDiva
2015-06-30, 08:30 PM
My inclination would be to leave it with a general note that +0.00 = +10.50 actual elevation. Living in a place that the elevation relative to sea level is 6,000 ft ±, we typically set the first floor (or ground floor) at 100'-0" and other levels relative to that. Then somewhere state what actual elevation the "100'-0" " is equal to. This allows us to use clean numbers in most cases.

If you have your site/topography in the same file, you should be able to move it down relative to the finish floor. If that's in a separate file, this is where I find shared coordinates to be invaluable ... my site can be true elevation with the linked building placed at its real elevation, but the building model can then have simple level elevations.

MikeJarosz
2015-07-01, 01:19 PM
Living in a place that the elevation relative to sea level is 6,000 ft ±,

WOW! You must be looking DOWN on Denver!

BTW: I forgot that the project base point can be easily set to an elevation. The trouble with complicated software like Revit is remembering all its features.