PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Raster vs. Vector Processing

a_meteni
2015-07-05, 11:37 PM
Hi. We have an integrated architecture/interior design model in which the interior floor finish is set to halftone and before printing architectural sheets (PDF or DWF) we change halftone brightness to zero. the problem is that we're forced to use Raster Processing to avoid duplication in lines due to halftone brightness.
is there's another way to get the sheets print correctly using the Vector processing instead of Raster?

david_peterson
2015-07-06, 01:22 PM
Since I started to notice things dropping off my sheets in 2012 (on sheets where we have a lot of information and pattern) I've used raster to ensure everything that visible on the sheet prints.
Maybe they fixed it, but maybe they didn't and I don't want to find out the hard way.
I'd suggest using Raster for everything.
I used Bluebeam as a pdf writter and just set the dpi to 300 and sheets look very good.
Anything less than that and the look super grainy.
My suggestion, get used to raster and stick with it. I've always had better luck that way.

DaveP
2015-07-06, 01:36 PM
I'm curious about your Sheet setup here.
And your workflow. Why do you "halftone brightness to zero"?
Do you mean that you have one Sheet that you use for both Interior and Architecture and change the View settings every time you print?
Normal (and simpler) Revit workflow would be to have one View set up for Interior Finishes and another for the Architectural Plans. On separate Sheets, of course.
You should also look into View Templates to maintain consistency in the View's Visibilities.

a_meteni
2015-07-06, 04:10 PM
Since I started to notice things dropping off my sheets in 2012 (on sheets where we have a lot of information and pattern) I've used raster to ensure everything that visible on the sheet prints.
Maybe they fixed it, but maybe they didn't and I don't want to find out the hard way.
I'd suggest using Raster for everything.
I used Bluebeam as a pdf writter and just set the dpi to 300 and sheets look very good.
Anything less than that and the look super grainy.
My suggestion, get used to raster and stick with it. I've always had better luck that way.
But what about file size?
compared to Vector processing, Raster files are too much larger in size. not to mention the display quality on screen when zoom in.

david_peterson
2015-07-06, 04:24 PM
Average pdf full size is about 1mb, so yes in general it's larger.
Pdfs look good as long as you've set the dpi for your print to something 300 or above.
They look good on screen as well.

a_meteni
2015-07-06, 04:35 PM
I'm curious about your Sheet setup here.
And your workflow. Why do you "halftone brightness to zero"?
Do you mean that you have one Sheet that you use for both Interior and Architecture and change the View settings every time you print?
Normal (and simpler) Revit workflow would be to have one View set up for Interior Finishes and another for the Architectural Plans. On separate Sheets, of course.
You should also look into View Templates to maintain consistency in the View's Visibilities.
We're using this workflow for hiding the interior floor pattern lines from architectural sheets without hiding its annotations:
1-Convert finish floor to halftone by filtering it.
2-The interior floors are still annotate-able and hide behind.
3-Before printing architectural sheets, We change halftone brightness to zero

cliff collins
2015-07-06, 06:11 PM
Hmmm--unless I'm missing something:

You could also just turn of Surface Patterns and leave the annotations and finish floors on. This would eliminate the halftone problem.

dhurtubise
2015-07-07, 08:23 AM
Hmmm--unless I'm missing something:

You could also just turn of Surface Patterns and leave the annotations and finish floors on. This would eliminate the halftone problem.

Cliff is absolutely right