PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Modeling exterior wall mockups

patricks
2015-07-07, 04:45 PM
Does anyone create a model and then show a drawing in their CD's for exterior wall mockups? I just finished a project with some fairly complex flashing details, which we want to see first in a wall mockup assembly before they build the actual building. I did it by making a short section of wall off to the side, with its own 3D view, and then made the wall into parts. I divided some of the parts so that for example only half the wall had brick on it. The middle of the wall has a window, and then the other half of the wall will show the various flashings around the window.

Is parts the best way to do it? It seemed extremely cumbersome and it took me about 3 hours just to make the first one. Perhaps a family would be better, where I model the various wall components in the family?

Thoughts from anyone?

cliff collins
2015-07-07, 08:01 PM
Do you mean something like this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xFK98G6kL38/T5QOFSsOORI/AAAAAAAABG8/_BXrj95IRW4/s1600/004.jpg

Yes--tedious using Parts, and it can lead to view management problems if in a team setting and all the members don't buy in or understand using Parts.

But--it CAN be done, and it is a pretty valuable 3d image/tool.

patricks
2015-07-07, 09:30 PM
I suppose so. That looks like a 3D view of an actual portion of the building, using a section box, with parts applied. I did a view of the actual mockup assembly that will not be part of the actual building.

david_peterson
2015-07-08, 06:07 PM
We do them all the time.
I usually have the exteriors team either create a separate model for it which they can just copy portions of the building into since they want to get as many of the details as possible.
The model they make is usually like 16' x 32 to wall with as many of the combinations of materials and conditions as possible.
Basically your making a view that shows a basic representation of what the final thing should look like. Then an elevation that you can cut a ton of sections and details off of.
Mock ups are totally worth it. We even do them for room types in Healthcare facilities.
Edit:
And yes they do become apart of the contract documents. I've had projects with 10 sheets worth of details and 1 sheet that was the 3d view and an elevation of the wall with several plan sections. We usually issue this as a separate package.