PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Column fill across linked files

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-07-09, 10:16 PM
Just wondering if I've missed anything...
architecture model is the host and contains walls. A structural file is linked in and contains columns.
The fill pattern of the linked structural columns (or, as tested, a masking region in the column) does not mask the layers of the wall in the host file.
Is there any way to achieve this automatically?

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99947&stc=1

Craig_L
2015-07-10, 08:04 AM
No way, but this is actually an issue that should show up in a clash detection. There theoretically should be no wall there, you should be modeling to the faces of the column...Im assuming that you're not talking about a "masking region" but the elements actually should meld. This will only happen if the material is the same anyway, and in addition, it will not happen between the host and a linked model. Why not copy/monitor the columns? This would at least allow them to be wiped out by the column (assuming the material is the same)

When I say "no way" I guess that comes with the caveat of - without using copy/monitor. Because this will automate your columns and walls issues.

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-07-10, 03:59 PM
Thanks Craig. This is a client request. I agree with you that if it is modeled as built then the framing for the wall would not be there, only the exterior cladding, and the resulting graphic issue would not even occur. They prefer to model the architectural portion straight through and have the graphics do the work. As for copy/monitor they let the structural do the talking and don't duplicate elements in the architectural model.
Thanks again.