PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Prefind a list of approved values

jsteinhauer
2015-07-20, 09:55 PM
Hello All,

I am wondering if it is possible to predefined list of values that are acceptable. I am working on casework that comes in predefined increments (18, 21, 24, 30, 32, 36). I was thinking I could write a formula based upon Width/3", but that doesn't always hold true. Then I was wondering if I could have an integer parameter that calls out the approved values, and then a formula would look at those values to see if the width matches one of those values or not. But I can't get a list to work. I would like to use a Lookup Table, but I'm not sure it would allow users to create a non-standard size.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

Thank you in advance,
Jeff S.

dhurtubise
2015-07-21, 06:57 AM
So you want to have standard dimension in a drop-down but also have the user create a custom one?

Not sure about the process but hey! I would use a catalog to create the "standard" sizes, you would get some kind of a drop-down and the user could still duplicate and create new dimensions.

david_peterson
2015-07-21, 12:48 PM
A Type Catalog would work great. Sadly not all users understand how they work.
A formula would really be the best way to go if you can figure out a way to make it work.
The problem with a type catalog is you get the one user that says "Gee I can fit a 22" wide 4 drawer cabinet here". And they can make it. Sadly industry doesn't.

jsteinhauer
2015-07-21, 03:27 PM
So you want to have standard dimension in a drop-down but also have the user create a custom one?

So we have standard sizes for casework, and looking at a catalog we can pull those sizes and place them into a family or type catalog. What we are being asked to do is have those listed sizes, but also allow users to create new widths. If a user creates a none standard size, than a text parameter for the label will display something meaning it is a none standard size.

Not sure about the process but hey! I would use a catalog to create the "standard" sizes, you would get some kind of a drop-down and the user could still duplicate and create new dimensions.

The problem comes when entering a none standard sizes and returning a "Ø" symbol for the label. I was hoping that I could use the Width parameter, tied to an integer parameter, that gets tied to a text parameter that the label reads. I was hoping to use a Regular Expression formula to list my standard sizes.

Width
Width Integer = Width/1'*12
Width Label = if(Width Integer=(18|21|24|30|32|36),"Width Integer","Ø")

I found the following page in the Online Help menu about Regular Expressions, but I can't seem to figure this out.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-355E22AE-4601-4699-9988-187B78E5C96A

Cheers,
Jeff S.

jsteinhauer
2015-07-21, 06:28 PM
So I was able to get this to work within Excel. See attached image. I am having trouble implement this within the Revit formula. It thinks that my Constant Values, are parameters. Any thoughts?

Below is a link to the video that helped me solve this issue in Excel. The good part starts about 8 minutes in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZGuqaIngM

Thank you,
Jeff S.