PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Bringing back deleted elements

paudy86
2015-08-04, 03:37 PM
Hi,
We have run into an issue where an element (topography with many sub-regions) has been deleted sometime in the last few days. I have gone through the backup files and also 3 weeks of manually archived files in the hope that I could copy back in the topography, but each file I open is missing the same topography despite the fact that it was only recently deleted.

Does opening an archive file automatically sync with the central file? What is the best method of retrieving a deleted element?

We are using Revit 2015.

Thanks in advance.

cliff collins
2015-08-04, 04:45 PM
Have you checked users' Local files? There should be a bunch of versions of local files on each users' PC. If you find one that has the missing topo, just copy paste into another local ( in same session of Revit) and then STC your current local file.

patricks
2015-08-04, 06:21 PM
A bunch of local file versions? Our machines never have more than one copy of a local file for each project file the user has worked on.

As to the problem at hand, the toposurface *should* exist on a file version from before it was deleted, unless there's some sort of error causing the toposurface to delete as the file is opened.

Are you opening these files as Detached when you open them? What about Shadow Copy on your server(s), maybe you can look back and open a previous version of the Central model?

ROBP-RDS
2015-08-04, 06:54 PM
Hi! Could the topo be turned off (hidden) in the visibility / graphic overrides?

MikeJarosz
2015-08-04, 08:27 PM
I always save my locals to C:\Users\username\Documents\Locals. This way they don't get mixed in with all the junk in my documents (which is the Revit default). More importantly, deletions go to my own recycle bin, not some mysterious network recycle bin that no one can find. With everyone on the team doing the same, chances are there will be a file either in the locals folder or the recycle bin on someone's login account that has what you want.

paudy86
2015-08-04, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I managed to find a file with the toposurface and a copy and paste worked. As for missing toposurface in the archive files Im still none the wiser what was happening. I restarted my machine and when I opened the archived files everything was ok again.