PDA

View Full Version : Wall Joins

gordgraff
2005-03-17, 02:25 AM
Hello All...

Back with my second post, I have a question about wall joins. I am trying to draw a wall that will either...

a. not automatically join to another existing wall, or
b. join in a way that does not alter the existing wall at all

I have attached an image to show you the condition i am talking about and hoping to achieve. The left side shows option a, with two walls of different size butted up against one another but not 'joined'. The right side shows the actual desired wall design, so you can see how the exterior insulation is really shared on both walls, and the interior gypsum on the mtl stud wall covers the gap (which is to be filled with wood blocking). Ideally i would like to have the walls join as shown on the right image, so if anyone could show me how to do this i would be most appreciative. Thanks

Gordon Graff

luigi
2005-03-17, 02:29 AM
1st quick post....

if you stretch the wall clear from any other walls, so as to see the clean edge of the wall, if you click on the join tool and then the end of the wall, you can disallow join....it won't join....now i will reread your post

2nd post

you need to make sure that the priority of your layers are similar in each wall....Revit will/should know the insulation layer to connect to the insulation layer, and if the first automatic join doesn't work, then click on the join tool and click on the intersection and see the various options (butt, miter, square off) One of them (with proper priority and category setting) should work for that wall join (there will be very difficult joins, like 4 walls in various angles connecting to other walls above or below, but that is a simple join you are trying to achieve)

aaronrumple
2005-03-17, 02:35 AM
Pull one of the walls away a bit. Use the wall join tool on the end of it and select disallow join. Pull the two walls together so they overlap. The butt end of the mtl. stud wall will be inside the cmu. Use the join geometry to clean up the linework. And 2D detailing as required.

bowlingbrad
2005-03-17, 01:52 PM
Here's Aaron's suggestion. Both walls have disallow join applied to their respective ends. The stud wall has <None> in the wall wrapping at ends property. Moved them together in the right orientation, and used join geometry to join the stud wall to the CMU.

HTH
Brad

gordgraff
2005-03-17, 11:07 PM
Thank you both, those suggestions worked very well.

Gordon Graff