PDA

View Full Version : First attempt-thoughts, advice please

johnm.72642
2005-03-17, 02:29 PM
Hello, I think I'm sticking this in the right spot here. Attached is a model I'm working up of a building we are constructing. I am working off of a trial right now trying to see where I can get. I have a few procedural questions though as my trial is about to run out. In the model, west view, you see a spot in the middle of the wall where the soldier courses stop. This is a column line and the brick work in that area should not have soldier brick running through it. My question is, did I approach this right by modifying the wall sweep to stop short and how would I show a line there to designate the brick joint? Would I be better off doing a different wall there? I know there are several options, but with the 30-day trial, I have had about 4 days worth of total time to run the tutorials and get as far as I did. Also, overall, does anyone see any pitfalls I'm setting myself up for, I know this thing is SUPER rough, but like I said, first try. I would be more than willing to explain my thoughts and reasons for anything you see that I did here. We are going to actually purchase the program here within the next month (hopefully next couple of weeks), but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get a training class for it. I created the wall style and the window style myself, so critique on those is welcome also. Please, let me know what you think so far.

Thanks

aaronrumple
2005-03-17, 02:53 PM
Looks fine to me. For any linework you want on any surface use the model Lines tool from the basics toolset. You should first use the plane tool to select the surface you would like to place the linework on.

johnm.72642
2005-03-17, 03:04 PM
Thanks Aaron, I thought about that, did it and deleted it. Seemed far too simple! :) If you have time, any other thoughts on what I have so far? Especially on the front of the building with the columns and that area? I am trying to learn how to create a column with the brickwork I need, keep getting interrupted though. Also not sure if the wall above the columns is created in the right fashion. It's working, I'd just like to make sure I'm doing it RIGHT. Thanks for your time!

SCShell
2005-03-17, 03:12 PM
It's working, I'd just like to make sure I'm doing it RIGHT. Thanks for your time!
Hey there,

I have always been a bit fuzzy about what the "right way" is! (no hair comments please) I believe that Revit's strongest feature is that there are many of ways of doing it "right". It is whatever way you are comfortable doing it.

Good luck
Steve

mlgatzke
2005-03-18, 04:44 AM
John,

In case you have problems, I've attached a WMV video (in the Zip archive) demonstrating what Aaron told you.