PDA

View Full Version : Where is "Visretain" toggle?

tim.olson661742
2005-03-17, 06:51 PM
My linked DWG underlay forgets its layers on/off visibility in the various Revit views when the DWG is updated/reloaded...not a huge problem since there aren't too many layers to manage, but I suspect there is a toggle buried somewhere that will give me the equivilent of Visretain=1. I've looked and looked...can't find setvar anywhere!

Thanks,
Tim Olson

hand471037
2005-03-17, 07:08 PM
No, what's happening is that within Revit the Visbility is View-specific. So if you turn off something within one View, then go to another, it will show 'back up' because you only turned it off within that other view. There isn't a VISRETAIN option within Revit, it's the default for it to be 'on', IIRC.

It should be remembering what you turn off/on and what color you tell it to be per view, just like an Xref from AutoCAD. At least it does with us...

How much are the linked DWG files changing? Are people moving things from layer to layer within them or something?

Jit
2005-03-17, 07:20 PM
The word from Revit support is that this is a prolem with no work around at this stage, maybe they will fix this up in Revit 8

Revit just forgets layer states everytime you update a dwg.

and it is a huge problem for us

hand471037
2005-03-17, 07:28 PM
****, really? wow. I remember some dwg-update issues back in 4.5, sad to here they are back. We link in DWG all the time, but we don't update them much, so I guess we hadn't noticed the bug...

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-03-17, 09:44 PM
Any chance the problem can be resolved with view templates?

hand471037
2005-03-17, 09:47 PM
IIRC, view templates sadly don't control Links, Revit or DWG. But I'd love ot be wrong about that. :)

tim.olson661742
2005-03-17, 10:03 PM
How much are the linked DWG files changing? Are people moving things from layer to layer within them or something?
As a newbie, I'm doing the project in ACAD but learning by modeling the shell and major elements in Revit. Surprise...surprise, the clients LOVE the 3D output from Revit, thus the frequent DWG link reloads. I'm petrified to make the clean leap to Revit right now. Pretty soon, however!

Tim Olson

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-03-18, 01:47 AM
If you keep it up and model small bits at a time you might be surprised how your 'drawings' just suddenly appear!

OK, not that simple in reality but it is pretty cool how quickly things come together once you have a project modelled correctly. The drawings just become a by-product of the modelling process. Good luck with it.

Jeff, I was pretty sure it didn't either but didn't have time to check it out. One can always hope a future release might have this ability.

Jit
2005-03-18, 08:55 PM
One way out is when linking the acad dwg, use the "visible only" option in the layer section. This appears when you are linking for the first time. This only bbrings in the visible layers, so no matter what you do to your dwgs, it will not bring in any thing new on a new layer but will only update existing layers

has been a good workaround for me, just discovered yesterday.

hope it helps