PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Pre-Engineered Building panels and fenestration. - Need some thoughts.

crullier
2015-08-16, 09:20 PM
hello guys, I have to work on "designing" a pre-engineered frame building. We are still in schematic design but as you know all things revit...
anyway, I have seen posts of solutions where users have used elaborate curtain walls (custom mullions and panels) to do similar projects and I wonder how effective that method is in terms of effort and time management. It seems that unless your design in 100 complete you may want to employ other strategies not to mention keeping your LOD's in mind. I am very nerdy / geeky when it comes to my Revit modeling and I really love doing the LOD400 stuff. I don't the casual "over modeling" if I see a real benefit down the line but it seem that in this case it would really work against our productivity and there is no gain.

It seems to me that what is suggested by some goes above and beyond the modeling requirement for construction documents, not to mention the degree of modeling that it requires to create such assembly and plus coordinate with fenestration that changes places based on program development or client input. (Door moves down 2' feet, New window pops up etc).

As a result I have devised for now use use a reveal to carve out the panel profile. This lets me retain full Revit functionality of the wall door and windows (I don't have to creature custom CWP) and I don't have to deal with curtain modules. What are your thoughts. Below is a quick weekend test. I will need to put this into practice this week.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/Profoxcg/MTL_PANEL_LOD300_zpsvrfgxgvy.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Profoxcg/media/MTL_PANEL_LOD300_zpsvrfgxgvy.jpg.html)

cliff collins
2015-08-17, 02:12 PM
Reveals work--BUT, they can also be a real pain to manage when things change. ( I'm assuming from the image that you are using Wall>Reveal then placing the Reveals manually and/or copying them.)

Line-based families with an array could also be a possibility here.

I wish you could use vertical reveals in the Wall properties>Edit Structure>Modify>Reveals tool; but I think you can only use horizontal reveals.

crullier
2015-08-17, 10:50 PM
Reveals work--BUT, they can also be a real pain to manage when things change. ( I'm assuming from the image that you are using Wall>Reveal then placing the Reveals manually and/or copying them.)

Line-based families with an array could also be a possibility here.

I wish you could use vertical reveals in the Wall properties>Edit Structure>Modify>Reveals tool; but I think you can only use horizontal reveals.

Yes your last suggestion would have been a life saver.