PDA

View Full Version : 2015 WINDOW ACROSS THREE WALLS

MikeJarosz
2015-09-14, 09:43 PM
My current project used multiple laminated interior wall types instead of building a single wall type with multiple plies. We have a GWB furring wall up against a CMU wall on one side and ceramic tile as a separate type on the other side of the CMU. This was done to get accurate quantity take-offs. I don't agree, but I'm stuck with it. I now have to place a transaction window (The kind of window you see in banks with a small tray to give things to the teller and a speak hole at standing height) I cannot get the window to place itself correctly accross the 3 walls. It wants to be on just one of them and they are all different thickness.

Is this a misconceived approach?

dlpdi5b
2015-09-15, 04:23 AM
Make your window family with a void, not the standard opening and make that void extend out of the host wall plane 10" or more front and back. In the project, join your 3 walls together using the join tool. Your service window can now be hosted on any of the three walls and the void will cut the other walls. The other method is to place the window and then use the wall opening tool on each wall that window does not cut. I like the first method more and use it often on complex walls.

Joshua Kohl
2015-09-15, 11:26 AM
Even if the window is made with an opening in the family it should still cut through all 3 walls in the project as long as they are joined.

david_peterson
2015-09-15, 01:07 PM
I had to use the same approach when creating a flexing corner window. I had to add a void into the family so it would cut what ever wall was adjacent.

MikeJarosz
2015-09-15, 02:11 PM
Thanks-

The void worked

mike.r
2015-09-17, 09:16 PM
Use join geometry to join the walls, the window will cut through all 3 walls.