PDA

View Full Version : Tensile Roof Structures

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-25, 10:13 PM
I'm curious what technique if any, folks have used to accomplish this type of roof. I've got a project that seems to want such a roof and I'm interested in ideas. I've attempted a couple with revolves, sweeps and blends. While close it's not very satisfying yet. It needs to "look" convincing from a 3d perspective and elevations and probably rendered.

I'm also considering an AutoCAD surface model and imported...

This roof will have four quadrants, a rectangular "base" with a central pole in quadrant. Each will/should be modeled separately?...

Ideas?

Allen Lacy
2003-11-25, 10:23 PM
It's a wild idea and I haven't tried it, but could you use a topo surface?

beegee
2003-11-25, 10:27 PM
Steve,

This topic (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=948&highlight=roof#top) may help.

gregcashen
2003-11-25, 11:01 PM
Having played with that method, I can assure you it opens Revit's modelling capabilities up in a huge way. It will not allow all fabric type structures, but it will allow for many shell type structures.

Alek Sutulov
2003-11-27, 12:52 AM
I've gone through that exercise last winter and suggest you wait and see if 6.0 will have better ways. It could be done to some extent using topo tools with a lot of manual calculations

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 02:17 AM
Greg...check these out, I think I'll be able to fake it with some variation of these. Just sweeps along a square base with voids to put the curve in the edges. A little tweaking and a little rotating to "tip" them a bit should be "good enough" for now. Just conceptual anywho...

Oh, Allen, I tried a topo surface first, but it is just too erratic to layout. I suppose I could layout grid to place points "accurately" to represent it but the sweeps etc are more polished looking so far.

beegee
2003-11-27, 02:34 AM
Rather large columns to hold up those teensy tents Steve.

Maybe Greg will design some nice thin elegant ones for you ? :lol:

Nice work though, and applies the famous KISS principle very nicely.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 02:37 AM
Why....they're large because there is a lot of wind of course, yeah that's it...teeny to you, but to those ants they look positively huge!

beegee
2003-11-27, 03:08 AM
Steve,

Check this out.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 03:19 AM
I see yours and I raise you one amphitheater... courtesy of www.birdair.com

beegee
2003-11-27, 04:38 AM
Yes, but mine trumps yours, cos mine's lightweight n'elegant.
8)

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 05:02 AM
I was working toward a "fullhouse" hehe

You mispelled your description...you meant lightweight and inelegant right?

beegee
2003-11-27, 05:45 AM
Fullhouse or outhouse ?

gregcashen
2003-11-27, 06:40 AM
Dr. Nurb, huh? I was going to suggest In-place Idiot, but it seemed a bit inappropriate, as I can be an idiot all over the place.

As for the roof...I am playing with something that might work out...it takes a while to set up, and I am not sure it is going to look quite right, but I should have it for you at AU...unless it sucks.

By the way, do you want to have the roof the way you modelled it or the way it is in the birdair picture (upside down)??

I think that the best tool for this sort of thing would basically be similar to the topo tool in the sense that you would basically place your corners at a preset elevation and then you could place internal points and pull them up, down, left, right...instead of simply interpolating the intermediate contours, it should act like the spline tool, i.e. it would stretch the "fabric" based on the location of the "grips". Anyway, we can mention it to David at the family editing session, I guess...

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 03:48 PM
I agree your description of a roof surface tool would be cool.

As for the BirdAir roof, there is another picture somewhere on their site that shows it from the front "elevation". The roof is pretty tricky. It rises to points and falls to points as well. It appears the the spouts empty into columns and probably handle drainage as well, while the peaks are supported by an interior truss and "derrick crane" structure (sort of) with liberal amounts of guy wire stays.

Pretty neat really. I put in a call to BirdAir to see what they'd propose.

Thanks for your effort...glad you are having fun experimenting.

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-10, 09:46 PM
Back from AU...charged up...letting out some steam so here's "some" progress on the woofs...still need some tweaking but it's getting close enough for this phase.

gregcashen
2003-12-12, 04:47 AM
Alright! That looks great. Not a bad approximation given the lack of any method to create the double curvature with the limited tools we have for this kind of stuff. One thing that may give it a more "tensile" look is to cut the edge at the chamfered corner with a more rounded void so that it looks like it is being "pulled" more. But all in all, it looks better than any of the approximations I was able to come up with using blends and voids.

:wink: