PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Roof issues

uagrad89
2015-09-24, 01:46 PM
As a user of all of the main Autodesk software packages (AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, and 3ds Max) to some degree, I have always found Revit to be the quirkiest and the most difficult to deal with and many times have found it impossible to make it do what I want it to do. Case in point: I have a two story model that I have been working on for a while now and I cannot get the roof created like I need it to be. The attachment I have included with this post has a screen capture of the roof boundary that I sketched and then the roof that resulted from this sketch. I do not understand why Revit built the jutted-out portion of the roof the way it did. It seems to make much more sense that the peak of the roof would remain the same and that the ending point of the roof on both sides would adjust according to the width of the jutted-out portion. I originally did this as two separate roofs and while it worked much better I could never get the roofs to join into a single roof so I tried to do it this way.

I have also had trouble getting my interior walls on the second floor to end at the roof and not stick up through the roof on one side or the other. I do not have a capture of this because I finally got so frustrated that I deleted my roof and started over.

I am admittedly not a power user of Revit by any means. I teach at a university and use it sparingly (my background is actually in mechanical engineering) but I am always trying to increase my knowledge of software packages for when I have to teach small sections of it in one of the classes that we offer. I would really like to get better at Revit and am working on doing so but it is somewhat slow going. I have had another person who knows a lot more about it than me look at this issue and he doesn't understand why it did what it did either. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

david_peterson
2015-09-24, 06:32 PM
Simply use the attach tool to connect the walls to the roof above. When you select the wall you'll see over on the right hand side a little tool that says attach Top, pick that and the thing that you want to attach the wall to and they'll be connected.

As for the roof, revit is doing exactly what you've asked it to do. It's got one roof with a constant eve height. I believe that's an option. I would try to do these as separate pieces sim to how things needed to be done in many cases in ACA. From there you can always modify the sub components.

Hope this helps.

emodderman
2015-09-30, 03:59 PM
Hi uagrad89

Dave is correct in saying that your roof is trying to keep the eave height constant, which is why that front peak is not appearing in line with the TOP of the roof. I suggest making that roof as a separate roof and joining the roofs. Now as far as joining a roof goes, they will never actually become one solid piece of geometry when joined. they will always be separate items but will no longer have a separation line between them, so when viewed in a render or simply in a 3D view you won't have that graphical line denoting two separate objects.
As far as making a separate roof goes, you have two options. you can make another roof by footprint and raise the eave height in your properties or you can create a roof by extrusion in your front elevation. Creating a roof by extrusion will ensure you have the same slope as your other roof because you can draw your extrusion sketch line using the pick lines option and simply trim it to the height you want it to start the eave at. (keep in mind that your extruded roof will extend automatically a good 20' or more, so use the arrow grip to shrink it to the size you want and then align/lock it to the front of your larger roof.)