PDA

View Full Version : Roof Challenge

Joef
2005-03-18, 07:02 PM
I don't have to get too detailed about this roof if I don't feel like it. I have used a fascia to get the radius at the eaves, but I was wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to model the radius ridges. I don't know who the designer was but he (or she ) has distributed a few of these around Victoria. I think they were trying for a faux thatched look.

Joe

Scott D Davis
2005-03-18, 07:11 PM
Use a series of Masses to build the shape. Some sweeps, probably some voids. Once you have the shape, use the Roof By Face tool in massing.

Joef
2005-03-18, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't want Revit to make it too easy to create a roof like this, otherwise more of these type roofs might get built. ;-)

I think if I am careful with some sweeps it may be possible. I tried a blend but the radius ridges got a "can't make roof" when I tried to convert them.
I might just draw it in elevation with some linework. It's not a big job, I just thought I'd give it a try. I'll let you know if I manage to create it.

Joe

Scott D Davis
2005-03-19, 04:13 PM
Here's an example:

Joef
2005-03-19, 04:54 PM
Thanks Scott,

The difficulty with the roof is the fact that all the ridges have a radius. The other problem is that the eaves are radiused at the corners of the house. I have been in the Attic and I can't believe how they built it. I cannot make a fascia go around a curve and if I make the roof footprint with a radius it does not carry all the way to the peak. It's a tough roof to model. Even tougher to build. I made a mass that looked good but I couldn't turn the radius ridges into roofs. I have some ideas and if they are successful I'll post the results.

Joe