PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Can't Overide Surface Colour of Topography

shbrooks
2015-10-08, 08:57 AM
We are attempting to show the topography as a lighter shade in our site plan than our elevations, but we can't seem to find a way to override the the surface colour. Nothing appears to change if I change the Surface Pattern colour in the 'Override Graphics in View' menu. I am aware that this may be something to do with the fact that Surface Patterns cannot be applied to Topography, but is there any way around this?

Currently we are having to duplicate the topography and assign it a different material with a lighter shade and hide the original topography in the site plan, and vice verse for our elevations.

Craig_L
2015-10-12, 07:43 AM
This is controlled by the material. Therefore you need to edit the material and the color of the material can be edited there. For example I have my site split into grassed area, roadway, and some water around the back of it, all show by the correct material, and this drives the color. When you select your topo surface, in the properties box you have the "material" edit this and you can change the display color, if not change entirely the material, depending on what is appropriate for your circumstance.

shbrooks
2015-10-12, 08:33 AM
Thank you for your reply Craig. I understand what you are saying, and this is the usual practice we use. However, is this particular instance we are trying to show grass lighter on plan than in elevation, hence trying to override the surface colour. No matter what override settings are applied, the topography does not change colour unless the material is edited, which then changes the colour in the elevations, which is what we don't want.

james.gould686334
2017-03-21, 04:18 PM
I appreciate this is old, but a solution I use to get around this is to duplicate the topography, then use filters within my templates to hide one topography out in section and the other in the plans. Once that is done, I applied slightly different materials to each topography.

It's not the smartest solution, and it could become complex if you have existing and proposed topographies. But the process is quick, simple, and this is the only workaround I know.