PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stairs

pwmsmith
2005-03-18, 09:56 PM
I can make a winding stair, monolithic of concrete material. My question is can you put a wall from the floor to the underside of the stair following the winding shape?

mlgatzke
2005-03-19, 12:09 AM
I don't see why not. However, if you think about it, the wall will have to end or it will block the entry to the stair. You should just be able to use a curved wall to fit the radius of the stair. Then, you'll have to edit the wall's profile to match the stair.

By the way, I'd really like to be able to attach the wall top and bottoms to stairs. Maybe that's a wishlist item. Of course, maybe it already does and I just don't know it. Heck, that "other" program (ADT) will - Revit should be able to.

pwmsmith
2005-03-19, 12:16 AM
I do not believe you can profile edit curved walls>

beegee
2005-03-19, 12:38 AM
That's correct - you can't edit a curved wall profile ( wish )

Mr. Spot posted a Tutorial HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13882&highlight=stair+wall%2A), on how to do a curved wall under a stair.

I do not believe you can profile edit curved walls>

mlgatzke
2005-03-19, 09:10 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I suppose you could set RefPlanes at angles around the stair and draw multiple walls and attach the top of the walls to the RefPlanes. You'd have to make multiple walls and join them, but I believe that should work - although a lot of work to accomplish something seemingly so simple.

Sorry again. My bad.

beegee
2005-03-19, 11:37 PM
Chris Price's tutorial shows how a void can be attached to reference planes and used to cut the wall to the stair profile.

Its faster than using multiple walls, by still takes some time to set up.

Hopefully Revit will provide an easier ( more Revit-like ) solution for this in future.

david_spehar
2006-07-14, 02:48 PM
Anyone know if Revit 9 has a better solution to attaching curved walls to the underside of curved stairs? Or is the referenced tutorial still the way to go?

prent
2006-07-14, 03:46 PM
pat:

go to blog titled //revit-alize.blogspot.com to see an example of this type wall.

give me a shout somtimes and let's catch-up w/ eachother.

prentiss