PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Copying linked model with hidden elements set to host file view

rikathome
2015-10-15, 02:16 PM
We are having a problem with copying link files within the host file and keeping hidden elements hidden. Basically we have a lot of units that are the same and want to copy them around out site plan, because we want to have the ability to hide certain elements within each linked file separately rather than across all of them we have had to set the view of the linked files to by host view rather than linked view. Some models are very repetitive and it would be ideal to be able to copy them with certain aspects (primarily the outer wall line thickness) off in many of the same ones but each time we copy a linked file with hidden elements, all of the hidden elements become unhidden and we have to hide them all again.

What we want to know is if you can copy linked files and keep the hidden elements done in the host file hidden?

Thanks for any help!

Richard

Brian Myers
2015-10-15, 02:42 PM
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You can have a linked file display based on the properties of the Linked view (Visibility Graphics - Revit Links). So you can display a specific view setup in the linked file and only display those elements in your file.

But an easier method would be to put all those elements you want to hide on a specific workset. Turn off the visibility of the workset (once again, visibility graphics - Revit Links) and they all disappear in your model. So not automated, but it wouldn't take much effort once setup.

david_peterson
2015-10-15, 07:03 PM
If you are truly copying the model around, in the VG settings => Revit Links, you can pick on the plus to be able to adjust the VG of the instance of Each copy of a revit file.
This allows you to have the same model (say it's typical room equipment or furnishings) in 30 locations and each one can have it's vg settings unique.
If you're trying duplicate views that contain hidden elements I'm not sure they stay hidden when you duplicate them.
Another option if you wanted to use Groups you could copy the groups and then exclude an object from the group.

But you can't do that thru a link.

rikathome
2015-10-21, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the help Brian and David, I managed to get something close to what I was after by making shared parameters to turn off certain lines which I made as detail components, then creating filters within the main project file. This way I was able to use the linked view and then set filters by the host view and could still turn off certain aspects of my linked files. Not sure if it's the most efficient way or one that I will stick with but it is good to know it's an option going forward.