PDA

View Full Version : ACIS Solids in Revit

Joef
2005-03-20, 04:08 AM
Can anyone point me to a thread or a Revit document that discusses how to use solids (imported) in Revit. I know you have to import them into either a Mass or a generic family, but what can you do with them after that? Can you add materials to them? Surface patterns?

Joe

beegee
2005-03-20, 05:18 AM
You can import ACIS solids contained in DWG ? DWF objects.

Not all surfaces are supported . ( nurbs are not ).

Importing into an in-place family of Mass or Generic Model category will allow the mass elements to be converted to faces of Floor, Walls, Roofs or Curtain walls.

Once converted, you are dealing with a Revit object that can have materials defined or painted on surfaces, etc.

Joef
2005-03-20, 03:18 PM
I have tried the importing into a mass and it seems to work as advertised, except for the fact that a shape that Revit doesn't like will not be allowed to be made into a roof or floor. You end up with something that is part roof and part mass. The importing into a generic family has me puzzled. It doesn't seem possible, once you have imported the solid (in a generic family) to add a material to it. The colour of the object that is displayed in the family is controlled by the AutoCAD layer settings, but materials seem to be lost in translation. If anyone has some experiences they can share it would help, as the Revit help file is very quiet on this process. I might add that I think the Revit folks are relying on this forum to serve as a help file. If we all started using our subscription service to get help with Revit elements that are poorly documented they might decide to spend a bit more time on it.

Joe

gravelin
2005-03-20, 05:37 PM
You need to use the object style.
It's an "imported object" tab in witch you will find the layers of the DWG.
If you place the solids into different layers in AutoCAD you will be able to control the material in Revit.

Joef
2005-03-20, 07:56 PM
Merci beaucoup Yves!