PDA

View Full Version : helpppppppppppp... please help me with this surface

ruivenda
2005-03-20, 10:59 AM
i need to do some surfaces like this in the attachments. i do them in autocad, but i want to modelling this project in revit. i tried to inport the surface to revit, but i can't make any ajustments ou convert it. Can someone help me? it's urgent and i'm desesperate. i prefer ask before criticise. the surface is ti make an roof/floor of a public space. on the buttom of this surface another space has to be created. unfortunaly this surface can't be done in solid. that's an edge surface of autocad. pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee help me

jiaoyanbing
2005-03-20, 05:36 PM
i think you can not get answer in revit.it has not surface modeling.

gravelin
2005-03-20, 05:43 PM
If this surface is exactly what you want, Why don't you use it as an AutoCAD linked file.
So you can modify the surface in AutoCAD if necessary and reload the link in Revit (like an AutoCAD XREF).

mlgatzke
2005-03-20, 07:38 PM
Why couldn't you recreate the model in Revit. You could trace the plan view with a solid mass object and then create a series of void objects that you could cut from the top to create the final shape. Then you could use Revit's building maker technology to convert portions of the mass to curtain wall, roofs, floors, and anything else you need. The catch here is that you'd have to remodel the mass. If you know the location of each point (vertex), then you can reconstruct it.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-20, 08:06 PM
Making a "blob" shape isn't difficult with Revit...what does the blob represent in real life? Is it a building? The walls of the shape are really easy if the surface on the top is just a roof. So what is it supposed to be?

Phil Read
2005-03-20, 11:48 PM
Dude -

This can be done - just be deliberate. Make the upper and lower forms distinct in place families (roof and ceiling). They're simple blends.

Remember - nothing in a building is a "surface" alone. It's all stuff made of stuff. So don't "model"...instead, identify the critical relationships and build the building.

Take a look at the attached and all the best -

Phil

ruivenda
2005-03-21, 12:09 AM
THANK YOU ALL
i really appreciate your comments. the surfaces in AutoCAD mean the mass of the building. i know that there is much more than surfaces in architecture. the problem is that this surface is only a study. i want to bring up the final form modeled. so i don't know the points coordinates. this surface isn't so simple as you think in one of your comments. a simple blend. the all surface is triangulated (empenada in Portuguese) so it is difficult even to create voids, because i need to change the plan of work. the walls of the mass are not vertical. they are obliques too. is a strange and complex form. i know Revit isn't a surface modeler, but this way Ghery never buy it, because he can't make his projects on it... Revit has potential to be unlimited. Just need time to grow up and makes it perfect.

Because prefecture is possible...

Thanks again people. i really appreciate your help. let's make Revit the best architecture software in the world. its almost there...

by the way _ your attachtment is empty...

Phil Read
2005-03-21, 12:42 AM
Don't get me started on Frank...

OK - not a simple blend. A bunch of simple blends. ;) The file's not empty. It's a mass - make sure that you have masses shown.

Triangulated panel are fine - just edit the vertexes of the blend.

-Phil

mlgatzke
2005-03-21, 03:31 AM
Exactly Phil, but I think he'll have to create the top of each "box" of the form individually. I didn't think his form could be created with blends because of the facets (triangulation) of the surfaces. However, ruivenda doesn't think it can be done, but I do. It'll just take a little effort to recreate it. I also agree with the Gehry comment. Some people like his work and others don't, but . . . HEY, he seemed like such a nice guy on "Arthur". Sorry, I've got kids - Gehry had a guest appearance on the PBS show "Arthur".

Andre Baros
2005-03-21, 03:52 AM
Love his work or hate it, Gehry's projects don't happen over night. You could create the form of any of his buildings in Revit in half the time it takes his office to get it drawn... and when you were done the CD's would be too. But his projects take years and I don't have half a year to prove such a point. Revit makes things easy, but you still can't create experimental architecture over night.

mlgatzke
2005-03-21, 02:46 PM
Yea and Gehry uses a modified version of Unigraphics software - that he sells for $14,000US. And that's just for the architectural add-on to the base package (which I think is another $9,000US. I'd rather pay the cheaper price for Revit, be done with it, and have a much better piece of software and more intelligent models for it.

frame
2005-03-21, 04:30 PM
Speaking of Gehry:
I took a preschool full of kids to the stata center recently, and when they found out people thought it was "ugly" they responded:

http://www2.townonline.com/cambridge/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=205027

Joef
2005-03-21, 06:21 PM
A recent lecture by Malcolm Gladwell on the topic of design (under the general heading of "Human Nature") has some very interesting insights into how and why people decide something is ugly. It's worth listening to. http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail230.html

Joe Feldman