PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Big project Revit management question

trostis
2015-11-10, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I wanted to get an input on an idea that I have to make the model more manageable. Can I create a model only for sheets? How much it will help to the size of the central file?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Damian

cdatechguy
2015-11-10, 04:25 PM
How big is your central file? I've got one that is 1.4GB and it is working just fine.

david_peterson
2015-11-10, 04:48 PM
I've got a 800mb, works just fine.

Biggest issue I tend to see is the number of users you're trying to have actively working in it.
We recently completed a 1.4 million sqft lab/manufacturing/process plant. We just split them model in to pieces to keep it down to about 4-5 people per model. Between all trades I think we had about 90 models. Worked great. Just need to make sure you manage it.
Don't think you need a separate model just for printing. Doesn't make any sense. Model in one model and annotate in another is just going to require users to have 2 sessions of revit open.

I've done a separate model for just sheet lists so I can load everything in. But that was really just for the sheet lists.

I'd suggest you take a look at your workflow and drawing process and see what you can do there.

Duncan Lithgow
2015-11-11, 09:00 AM
Hi, Any input is greatly appreciated.

I suggest you do some research, try searching for 'revit managing large projects'. There's heaps of experience out there, but you won't find a one-size-fitss all solution. Work out the workflows and outputs constraining your choices, then you can learn from others' experiences.

Lonnie Compton has apparently made a webcast of his extensive experience, I learned a lot from his experience reading/watching
http://clubrevit.com/bim/super-size-me-2015/

- - - Updated - - -

How big is your central file? I've got one that is 1.4GB and it is working just fine.

How much RAM and what kind of computer is that running on? How extensive is your use of worksets?

david_peterson
2015-11-11, 06:33 PM
For what it's worth, I was working on a very large project. Most models were in the 350-500mb range, but I usually needed many of the them loaded.
I can't load all the links anymore very easily. It chews up all 32gb of ram and starts using the hard drive virtual memory.
Worksets weren't very extensive at all. I did use the link manager a lot to unload links I didn't need to see.

Duncan Lithgow
2015-11-13, 08:14 AM
For what it's worth, I was working on a very large project. Most models were in the 350-500mb range, but I usually needed many of the them loaded.
I can't load all the links anymore very easily. It chews up all 32gb of ram and starts using the hard drive virtual memory.
Worksets weren't very extensive at all. I did use the link manager a lot to unload links I didn't need to see.

Ah, a 32 GB machine, those were the days. Someone else got mine when I stopped opening ca. 300,000m² at a time.

David, why were you loading and unloading instead of opening and closing worksets containing each instance/type of each link? Is there some small gain in using load/unload instead?

david_peterson
2015-11-13, 01:50 PM
I didn't have any multiple instances of any links. So I had one workset for M, E, P, F, PQ (Process Equipement). It was like 12 buildings in one. And with about 90 links total, it didn't make a lot of sense to me to have one workset per link so I just put used the link option. Just less clutter. I don't think I had any real gain or loss. I'm sure either method works similar. I was also doing this in a structural environment so I didn't need to worry about anything that was hosted, or room bounding objects or the likes. I had one workset for foundation, Grids and Superstructure for each of the 12 areas. Each area (building) was between 150ksf and 350ksf. Every discipline had it's own model. Arch was split between interior and 2 shell buildings. The Connecting Spine which we used as our MFL wall was 1700 feet long with a 300ksf admin building on one and and a CUB on the other. Super fun project to work on. Design Started Aug of 2012, Foundations started Nov 2012, with Steel Jan 2013 and Arch Components in about June of 2013. Building is now enclosed and commissioning process has begun for most areas. Expected to be fully completed and operation in Jan I think.
We had a great process for collaborating with all of our consultants on this project.