PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Curtain Wall Corner Mullions

david_peterson
2015-12-09, 10:17 PM
So I'd like to create a curtain wall corner mullion, but I'm not sure it's possible.
We have Butt Jointed glass with a "Structural" silicon Sealant. So there's no outside cap to this system.
I need a basic 2 1/2" X 7 1/2" Deep mullion with a 1" long by 3/4" wide "Blade" (for lack of a better term) that separates the glass and gives the sealant something to stick to.
So the out of the box "corner" mullions don't work. I can't get any of them to look correct.
Is there a way to create custom corner mullions? I don't see a family template for it.
I see there's a check box in the mullion families for "corner mullion" but it's greyed out.

Thanks in advance.

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-12-09, 11:12 PM
Still can't create custom corner mullions. Without cheating the easiest and best I've done in the past is to include the mullion as part of the curtain panel family

gregb
2015-12-10, 03:25 PM
If I remember correctly, I came across an Autodesk University class a while back that discussed this very topic. I'm looking through my files to see if I have the class notes and if I find them I'll add the information. Anyway, I've loaded a couple of profiles I made for custom mullions as a result of this class. They're not quite what you're looking for but maybe you can reverse engineer them.

There are two tricks to making them work. First, you make a standard mullion with the custom profile not a corner mullion. Second, the intersecting curtain walls cannot be touching when you override the default end mullion with your custom mullion. The horizontal mullions interact in interesting ways with these custom profiles so there can be some issues with the appearance of the curtain wall. I guess you'll have to try it out to see if you find the issues acceptable. Hope this helps.

Found the source: http://curtainwallbim.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/mullion-halves.html