PDA

View Full Version : Note Block Number order and Text pasting

Henry D
2003-11-26, 10:25 PM
How do I get the numbers in a Note Block or schedule in the right order? (see attached)

Also, it would save a lot of time if I was able to paste my ADT notes into the note block, but I haven't been able to do it, is there a way?

Thanks a lot,

beegee
2003-11-26, 10:37 PM
Select the note block from the Project Browser, select View Properties, tab- Sorting /Grouping and sort by keynote number.

To paste in your ADT notes, just copy them individually to the clipboard, then ,in the note block, paste in the comments.

Henry D
2003-11-26, 10:51 PM
Thanks very much Beegee - the sorting is what I was looking for.

Have you tried copying and pasting autocad notes into the note block using CTRL +C and CTRL+V? I can't get this to work.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-26, 11:03 PM
I assume you've seen THIS (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1469&highlight=text) thread...some interesting ideas...on text.

beegee
2003-11-26, 11:03 PM
Thanks very much Beegee - the sorting is what I was looking for.

Have you tried copying and pasting autocad notes into the note block using CTRL +C and CTRL+V? I can't get this to work.

I regularly copy from word docs to the note blocks, and that works fine, can't speak for Autocad though.
If the process doesn't work as a direct copy from ACAD, can you paste into Word and then copy from that ? May still be faster than retyping ... if you type at my speed :)

Henry D
2003-11-27, 03:53 PM
Thanks again,

Knowing that I can paste from word solved it. I was stumped because I had imported my Autocad text into a drafting view in Revit and couldn't cut and paste from the drafting view into the Note Block which suprised me. What I finally did was found a lisp routine (txtexprt) which could export my Autocad Notes as a .txt file; opened the .txt file in Word and pasted from there into the Note Block. After all that, I think I've saved about 45 seconds over retyping all my notes!

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-27, 04:01 PM
If you want to retain formatting...check out my post toward the end of the link I posted earlier. If your text is in AutoCAD and formatted already, you can import that file and it will retain all your formatting including bold text etc. Pretty slick really, except it will not work with 2004 format text with tabs.

Henry D
2003-11-27, 09:55 PM
Thanks Steve,

What are you doing working on Thanksgiving?!
Unfortunately, I am trying to set up all my Autocad Keynotes into Revit Note Blocks and I can't paste Mtext into a Note Block. My little lisp routine for exporting Autocad text into a .txt file doesn't work for Mtext - that would have been great. I could have used txt2mtxt to convert all my text to mtext, reformatted it in mtext and be done with it. I might end up doing your linking method, I am finding the Note Blocks kind of a pain for long notes because you can't really see the end result until you put it on a sheet. But it does have the great advantage of easy Keying to the drawing.

beegee
2003-11-27, 10:00 PM
I am finding the Note Blocks kind of a pain for long notes because you can't really see the end result until you put it on a sheet. But it does have the great advantage of easy Keying to the drawing.

I usually just highlight the text in the noteblock row and that allows you to move to the end of the row the see the last part of the text.

Yes, it is a PITA.

Scott D Davis
2003-11-28, 04:12 AM
From AutoCAD, are you first editing the Mtext or single line text, and then highlighting from the text editor? If you highlight within the text editor, then ctrl-c and then ctrl-p into Revit text, it should work.

You can't grab the AutoCAD text entity, and cut-n-paste.

Henry D
2003-11-28, 08:22 PM
Wow! So cutting and pasting from the text editor is the trick, I hate to think how much time I wasted by not knowing that. ...thanks a lot Scott.

Scott D Davis
2003-11-29, 07:18 AM
Good enough for Tips & Tricks? Did you try it and it worked the way you expected?

Henry D
2003-11-29, 05:41 PM
Yes, it works great - definitely a good tip. All the text formatting is retained. Also, the same thing applies to cutting and pasting text from within Revit to Note Blocks. The text has to be selected within the text editor or else it can't be pasted into a Note Block.