PDA

View Full Version : 2015 How to export instances to separate layers of a 3D DWG?

a.ghensi689507
2015-12-15, 10:41 AM
Hi all,
My firm is working on a project using revit (I's mainly a civil engineering project but we use revit as starting point for our BIM workflow), and one of the client requests is to have the 3D model in DWG, putting every object/instance in separate layers named with the family name/type and instance ID.
Is it possible to do that with revit? I don't see any layer mapping modifier that could help me getting what I want.

thanks for the attention!

barthbradley
2015-12-18, 10:28 PM
Export=>CAD=>DWG=>"..." (Export Setup)

Dimitri Harvalias
2015-12-20, 08:53 PM
So they want all that information included in the layer name? And every instance would have its own layer? That sounds incredibly cumbersome. I can't imagine what working on that CAD file would be like.
As you have already found out, nothing out of the box that would allow that kind of garanularity. I'd suggest that you might want to get a custom LISP routine written that might be able to do it on the ACAD end?

a.ghensi689507
2015-12-21, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the answers.
The client's requirements tell us to put every object on a separate layer of a 3D DWG model, and to follow their tagging/coding guidelines.
So the plan is to put that tag on the istance comments (or another property) and use it somehow to create the desired DWG 3D model.
I'm the macro developer of the company, and I just tried to see if there's a way for me to avoid some of the work.
I guess I'll have to develop a macro to export every single object on a separate dwg (named as the tag stored in the property) and then combine them all in a single DWG model.

EDIT: I found a way to solve this problem! Revit exports the ElementID inside the XData of the autocad element, so I need to create a macro that saves the ElementID and the tag/code of the element into a xls/csv file, export the 3d view, then create a VBA macro in autocad/excel that reads the ElementID in the XData and creates the layer named after the tag (found by looking into the CSV file).

david_peterson
2015-12-22, 02:01 PM
Dumb question, but for some reason I seem to remember there was a limit to the number of unique layers you could have in an autocad file?
I believe it's a high number, but depending on what your exporting, I could see a lot more objects in a revit model than the number of layers allowed.

jsnyder.68308
2015-12-22, 05:22 PM
AutoCAD's MAXSORT system variable goes to 32767. That is a lot of layers (at least 32700 more than I would want to deal with), but I doubt its enough for a Revit model of any size.

david_peterson
2015-12-22, 10:50 PM
And that was kind of my point.
I'm not sure the client really understands what they are asking for, unless it's a parts model.
I couldn't imagine doing this for a building.