PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Crashed...recover using JOURNAL?

luigi
2005-03-21, 08:50 PM
Revit just crashed on me (and it doesn't happen often) and I hadn't saved a bit of commands...
I have tried to recreate the steps using the journal, but it stops early on the journal...I put a request to support, but not sure how quick they'll answer. Is there someone that has a trick to make the journal work...I haven't opened Revit since it crashed, because I know it does something to the journal/revit file (except for trying to recover with Journal)

Any one there to help a poor fellow????

luigi
2005-03-21, 09:10 PM
I gave up....I will redo all the steps....but first I need to figure out what I did in the past hour and 13 minutes...

patricks
2005-03-21, 09:11 PM
It didn't give you a message with the option to save a recovery file before it shut down? I get that sometimes, at which point I just open the recovery file, and then save it back as the filename I had before.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-21, 09:18 PM
I had this happen to me a few times and have had mixed results from tech support. Once they were able to get my file back but the other two I was SOL. how much time did you loose? The worst was fours hours of work, and I almost cried. for a long time editing wall joins 4 out of 6 time meant a crash for me, but it has been a while, since that came up. nonetheless everytime I go to edit a wall join I save. Save, save, save. Jesus can save your soul, but saving your file is kinda up to you. I know it hurts.
I know it helps to have done absolutely nothing to your file before sending it to them. I have never tried to do the journal thing myself though.

cosmickingpin
2005-03-21, 09:26 PM
That ain't so bad. It is Revit's way of telling you to slow down and save your file. Consider it a warning. Tech support might recover it for you, but I doubt they will have it for you in an hour. In any case these things happen, that reminds me, I should save right now.
Kid Cosmic

luigi
2005-03-21, 09:31 PM
To Patrick, 1 out of 10 times Revit will crash in many weeks of operation will be out of the blue, no warning...but 9 out of 10 it will give you the warning (these aren't approved statistics by any real source ;) )

To CKP, You crack me up.... I am glad I know Jesus, for if not I might be throwing things across the studio....like hmm....steve pleva??? Not that he doesn't know Jesus, he might/should...but he has thrown things across studios before...

Yes, save, save, save...there is a reminder for a reason, it is up to us to listen to the reminders in the world....including Revit's reminder!!!!

Actually, I re did all I had done in an hour in 10 minutes....this tells you how productive I can be!!!!

Peace,

irwin
2005-03-22, 02:11 AM
Usually if a journal file doesn't run it is because the files on disk are not exactly the way they were when the journal was recorded. Usually this is because you saved the file part way through the session. To get the journal to run:
1) Save a copy of all versions of the rvt file (and all families or other files that were changed during the session).
2) Figure out which version of the rvt file (and other files) was current at the time you started the session.
3) Rename that one to be the rvt file (get rid of the 0001, etc.)
4) Try running the journal file.

luigi
2005-03-22, 02:20 AM
Thanks Irwin, I figured it had something to do with that, so I searched through the journal to see what it actually had opened, and remembered I had opened a family early on and after modifying it I saved it...and yes I saved the revit file a few times in between..

I will keep all this in mind for a future mishap...but I hope not.. ;)

Thanks again.

Peace,