PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Brick wrap at storefront?

boofredlay
2016-01-08, 09:43 PM
I see this had been asked a while ago but I thought I would see if the problem has been solved yet or not.

Can brick wrap to storefront or curtainwall when inserted into a brick wall?

I have tried suggestions mentioned here in the past as well as other suggestions on the interweb and nothing works properly. This is a very frustrating thing to work around.
I can get it to work right on doors, on windows, on openings but not storefront. Furthermore if I place an opening (dummy window) Revit is barking at me not allowing the storefront to occupy the same space, rendering that technique useless.

Stumped.
Thanks for any input.

Steve_Stafford
2016-01-08, 10:48 PM
You can use an Opening family (generic model) and then put the the Curtain Wall inside that opening, at least it works for me in 2016. Just make sure the opening dimensions match the desired size of the curtain wall you're putting in that spot. Add a Reference Plane to the stock opening family to control where the return finishes. The stock one will just go to the middle of the opening.

Dimitri Harvalias
2016-01-08, 10:56 PM
Short answer is no and any workaround is not automatic.
Curtain wall is a 'wall' by definition and as such it's not recognized as an opening or a hosted family and Revit just joins one wall to the other.
I can think of a couple of workarounds but neither is automatic or global.
- edit the cut profile of the wall and sketch the masonry cladding to where you'd like it to appear.
- split the brick wall at each jamb condition and then change the wall wrap at end condition. This particular solution really stinks because, unless the conditions work just right, the exterior finish will not wrap to where you wan tit to and you have pretty much zero control over it.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's the reality.
Steve's suggestion also works but does require the same sort of manual coordination and some duplication of effort. Clever though. :beer:

PijPiwo
2016-01-09, 01:09 AM
The width parameter of the opening family can be changed to instance, and in the project the width of the opening can be locked to the CW ends. Stretching the CW will take the opening along for a ride. The same with the height.
Apply global parameters (2016) for the height and the width, and you could have fully automatic control over the size of the multiple CWs and the openings all at the same time if desired, and all with a wall return.

boofredlay
2016-01-09, 02:07 AM
Thank you Dimitri

You can use an Opening family (generic model) and then put the the Curtain Wall inside that opening, at least it works for me in 2016. Just make sure the opening dimensions match the desired size of the curtain wall you're putting in that spot. Add a Reference Plane to the stock opening family to control where the return finishes. The stock one will just go to the middle of the opening.
I did that starting with a basic window opening and give it a reference plane for the return but it would not allow the two (opening and storefront) to occupy the same space. Will try to create a new one with a Generic.

The width parameter of the opening family can be changed to instance, and in the project the width of the opening can be locked to the CW ends. Stretching the CW will take the opening along for a ride. The same with the height.
Apply global parameters (2016) for the height and the width, and you could have fully automatic control over the size of the multiple CWs and the openings all at the same time if desired, and all with a wall return.
Very clever indeed. Don't have 2016 loaded, working with 2015. Wish I could open your example.

Dimitri Harvalias
2016-01-09, 06:06 AM
I did that starting with a basic window opening and give it a reference plane for the return but it would not allow the two (opening and storefront) to occupy the same space.
Make sure the curtain wall is not set to automatically embed and it should work with the default opening. Not in front on a computer right now but there might be a masking region in the default family that will hide the curtain wall.

Steve_Stafford
2016-01-09, 08:56 AM
...Make sure the curtain wall is not set to automatically embed...When I tried it Automatically Embed was enabled FWIW, shouldn't matter.

PijPiwo
2016-01-09, 01:27 PM
Wish I could open your example.
2015 file attached.

boofredlay
2016-01-09, 08:33 PM
Thanks.
Still no joy here. It must matter the order. Opening first then storefront? I am getting the attached warnings whenever I try to put the opening in the same location of an existing storefront.

PijPiwo
2016-01-09, 09:02 PM
Order shouldn't matter. It works much better though when the automatic embedment is unchecked. See the screencast (http://www.screencast.com/t/RZxET0K7hg8), hopefully it will clarify things up. If still no luck, can you copy/paste the wall and the storefront in question into a new project and upload please?

boofredlay
2016-01-11, 03:47 PM
Got it now. The walls in question are in an ongoing project, the storefront has been there for a while, detailed and dimensioned already so redrawing them will cause issues. I am just now joining the project. Trying to place the opening over them causes all the problems (even if I change the storefront type to uncheck the automatic embedment, it was already embedded).

But doing it as you show in your screencast works on my end so I will probably redraw them in this project to get the desired result.
Thanks.

boofredlay
2016-01-20, 04:25 PM
Working like a charm BTW. Thanks again for the help.