PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Revit Formula Issue

kmarquis
2016-01-20, 05:00 PM
I'm building a set of cabinets. I have a few scenarios where the position of the door needs to shift and I want to see if a formula is possible to achieve the different combinations. There are too many combinations and I'm having a hard time writing the syntax.

If the user checks "Inset" the Door moves to 0" (which pushes the door back to sit inside the face frame)
If the user checks "Show Face Frame" and "Full Overlay" I want the door position to sit at 3/4". This would be a Full Overlay Cabinet with a face frame behind the door.
If the user checks "Inset" AND "Show Face Frame" the door position should sit at 0"
If the user has "Full Overlay" on and "Show Face Frame" off the door position should sit at 0".

nathan.chapman
2016-01-20, 05:37 PM
Unless I'm reading it wrong or you typed something in wrong the only time you want something besides 0" is when both Inset and Show Face Frame is checked. So the formula would look like this:
If(and(Inset, Show Face Frame), 3/4", 0") Now the user could have different combinations checked but the only one that will make it move to 3/4" is if Inset and Show Face Frame are checked at the same time.
Now if some of the ands should be ors then it would look different. Let me know if I'm not reading it right which is not uncommon for me.

kmarquis
2016-01-20, 05:46 PM
I think the design is flawed. There are too many user variables. The issue is that you could have a face frame with inset and you could also have a face frame with full overlay. If the cabinet has a face frame with inset the door moves back to 0". If the user wants a face frame with full overlay the door would be at 3/4". If the user wants a frameless construction cabinet the doors would attach to the sides of the cabinet and the door position would be at 0". I don't know how to cover all those conditions without the cabinet breaking. I might just have to build 2 families, one for Inset and one for Full Overlay.

nathan.chapman
2016-01-20, 06:18 PM
I still think the formula below will work. It looks like you currently have 2 lengths possible 0" and 3/4" but endless yes/no combinations. But like i said below if there is only one combination that drives the 3/4" then you would just ignore the other user inputs for driving length. Now those parameters would probably drive some visibility or text value which is fine. Or does it start at something other than 0" and 3/4" and then moves to those values. Sorry I'm not an architect but rather an engineer so don't know much about cabinets but am very familiar with family creation and formulas. So lets break down the options:
Frameless = 0"
Face Frame and Inset = 0"
Face Frame and Full Overlay = 3/4"
Are these all the different possibilities?

kmarquis
2016-01-20, 06:38 PM
The issue with this is that the user has the opportunity to select Inset and not framed construction and the door ends up floating outside the cabinet. I got the door position to work by rearranging some of the parameters. It all works except now the user has the opportunity to have inset on and not check Show Face Frame. Is there a way to set up a condition where the Face Frame turns on when Inset is checked but still be able to have it on with Full Overlay as well?