PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Dimensionaing building offsets on a site plan

david454045
2016-01-24, 05:26 AM
Can anyone explain in words of one syllable how to dimension building offsets on a site plan where the boundary to be dimensioned to is either not parrallel to the house (so measure from corner perpendicular to boundary), or where the boundary is a curve (so measure from corner to nearest point). I am sure I have seen some discussion about Revit shortfalls in this area, but have never found a solution.

Thanks

DaveP
2016-01-25, 02:30 PM
One syllable:
Tab.
How's that!
In Revit, when you need to dimension to an endpoint of a Wall or Line, you can hover your mouse over the spot you need and press the Tab key to cycle through options. Eventually, you should see a tiny blue dot at the endpoint. Once you see it, left-click and you should be able to start your dimension from that point.

david454045
2016-01-26, 08:10 AM
Thanks DaveP. That was the one syllable that I had figured out. Once I got the corner point, getting a dimension to a non-parallel boundary was easy BUT ONLY if the boundary is a straight line boundary. I still need to know how to dimension from a building corner to a curved boundary. I don't seem to be able to select a curved boundary. So help still needed thanks.

DaveP
2016-01-26, 02:39 PM
I was able to get a dimension to the intersection of a line and a curved boundary, but not to just the arc.
Although, I'm not really sure what a dimension to just an arc would mean.
What I did was draw another line crossing the arc. Then I typed SI for Snap Intersection and Tabbed a couple of times.
For the other witness line of the dimension I Tabbed until I got to the corner of two walls.
It's a bit iffy since it's almost impossible to see that little tiny blue dot, but if you have faith, it "should" work.
Sorry. I'd post an image, but my "quota has been exceeded"

patricks
2016-01-26, 03:53 PM
For such things we normally use a heavier dashed line that is perpendicular/tangent to the arc (passing through the arc center point), or parallel to the building wall, and then dimension the end points of the line (using Tab of course).

CAtDiva
2016-01-26, 05:54 PM
For such things we normally use a heavier dashed line that is perpendicular/tangent to the arc (passing through the arc center point), or parallel to the building wall, and then dimension the end points of the line (using Tab of course).

Or you can pick the line and click the little dimension icon on the temporary dimension to make it permanent.