PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Family's Formula-Controlled Parameter Value Not Grayed-Out in Project

barthbradley
2016-02-05, 09:15 PM
Can anyone tell me why I would be able to change the value of a family type parameter, in the project, if that parameter’s value is locked and controlled by a formula?

I have a family (Light Fixture) with a locked “type” parameter value controlled by another “built-in” type parameter in the family (e.g. formula=the built in parameter name/2). My expectation is that, when loaded into a project, I should only be able to change the family’s “built-in” parameter value; that the other parameter’s value would be fixed (grayed-out) since it’s controlled by a formula. But this is not the case: both parameter values can be changed in the project – peculiarly, with the formula working in reverse (e.g. “built-in” parameter value doubles when I change the other parameter value).

Build: 16.0.462.0
20150506_1715(x64)
Service Pack 1

Steve_Stafford
2016-02-05, 09:22 PM
The lock check box in the Family Types dialog only is relevant while working in the Family Editor. It affects altering parameters in-canvas in the Family Editor. So that won't have any impact once it is loaded into a project.

As for changing a parameter that is governed by a parameter...that is possible when there are instance parameters being used. The instance parameters open the door to interacting with the parameter(s) directly because they aren't determined by a Type setting.

barthbradley
2016-02-05, 11:06 PM
Solution courtesy of Andrew K at Revit Forum:

"To get by this, change the formula for the parameter that you don't want users to be able to control.

If(1=1, Formula you want, 0)

You can change to whatever true statement you want, if you don't like 1=1."