PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Working on new phases for old projects.

patricks
2016-02-11, 08:05 PM
How does everyone handle projects that are later phases of previous projects, where there is some work needed in portions of the previous project?

So we have a project that we completed in Revit over 10 years ago. Now the same owner wants to add another wing to the building. My first thought is link in the old Revit file into a new file using our latest template, and build the new wing in the new Revit file. However there also needs to be a small amount of work done to the existing building - some related to the "connection" to the new building, but some of it is just unrelated work elsewhere in the existing building.

I hate to just use the old Revit file, because it won't have all of our latest standards for graphics, view templates, etc. I could link and then bind the file I suppose, but it seems like that always generates numerous errors.

Any thoughts on this process?

GatoVirtute
2016-02-11, 11:25 PM
If you link the old file into your new template, and create a new phase (and then map the phases with the old project), it would seem that you could basically do the entirety of the work in the new project and get the graphics I'd expect you want. So in the old project, there was maybe phase 1 and 2, but all the work was in phase 2, or call it "2006 Construction" then you could create another phase "2016 Construction" and everything from that original project will show up as existing. Is that what you'd want?

I recently had the same problem as you, but it was only 3 or 4 years old. The tech chose to just upgrade that model.

patricks
2016-02-12, 02:49 PM
If you link the old file into your new template, and create a new phase (and then map the phases with the old project), it would seem that you could basically do the entirety of the work in the new project and get the graphics I'd expect you want. So in the old project, there was maybe phase 1 and 2, but all the work was in phase 2, or call it "2006 Construction" then you could create another phase "2016 Construction" and everything from that original project will show up as existing. Is that what you'd want?

I recently had the same problem as you, but it was only 3 or 4 years old. The tech chose to just upgrade that model.

The problem is that we have some demolition and new work in the existing portion of the building. That's the only problem with linking. Otherwise it would be fine, I think.

What I ended up doing was purging out everything unused in the original model, then upgrading it. Then I opened a recent project file and transferred project standards for a few important items like view templates and various other graphic things.

david_peterson
2016-02-15, 03:01 PM
Do the new work in the new model and the demo in the existing.
I'm still working on a project we where set up 17 phases, in 6 different arch models.
You have to love hospital project.
We modeled all of the existing in an existing model. Demo in the existing model. And added all of the new doors and walls in the new interior model.
You just need to have separate views for each Phase of the project.
There's a little bit of overlap of work required with this process but it works.

patricks
2016-02-15, 06:56 PM
Do the new work in the new model and the demo in the existing.
I'm still working on a project we where set up 17 phases, in 6 different arch models.
You have to love hospital project.
We modeled all of the existing in an existing model. Demo in the demo model. And added all of the new doors and walls in the new interior model.
You just need to have separate views for each Phase of the project.
There's a little bit of overlap of work required with this process but it works.

What do you do when something in the existing model needs to be demolished to make way for some new work? Go into the existing model and set the objects to demolished, then create and demolish the same objects in the Demo model? Sounds like tons of extra work. I did something similar on a recent project and it was not a very good solution at all, not for me anyway, and that was a very small renovation.

david_peterson
2016-02-15, 07:10 PM
Opps I should have said demo view. All views were pulled from the "new" model.
So yes I had to flip between model. In hindsight I might have tried to put it all in one model, but that gets tricky too with file size and number of people working in one model.

So with the project I had, I was going to be removing sections of walls, doors, windows and exteriors.
In the "Existing" model I'd demo them.
In my case I was always removing and replacing.
When I demo'd a section of wall and door. I'd add the new wall and door to the "new" model.
I didn't really need to duplicate anything.
I had a new model and an existing, linked together with all of the required phases and phase mapping.
I had separate demo Views and required a few extra views to show multiple demo phases on one sheet, but that was it.