PDA

View Full Version : Embeded wall joins

sjsl
2005-03-22, 06:29 PM
We can't get an embeded wall to join properly at the corner if the wall is the same thickness as the one you are placing into it.

The corners will not join. It always leaves a butt join no matter what we try to do.

Are embeded walls (not storefronts) limited to just being placed in straight walls?

The only walls we can get to work are those that are less than 1/2 the thickness of the origianl wall, say 12" orig. and 4" brick, then the corners work fine, other than that its pretty much a **** shoot.

tamas
2005-03-22, 08:00 PM
Actually, you can do this. I suspect the problem comes from the order of the operations. Revit does not like overlapping walls, especially when they try to join to each other.

So here is the order in which it works:

- First draw your corner with a gap, so the walls do not actually join.
- Embed the walls. (Use "Cut Geometry" tool.)
- Finally use the trim tool on both the embedded and host walls to form the proper corner.

sjsl
2005-03-22, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the tip. But, to me this is so counter productive. I spen several hours creating all of these wall conditions that we decide to change w/wall imbeds and we have to pull apart all of these corners to do this. Think about what you guys are telling us to do!

The frustration comes with adjusting the walls after (I have done this) you will have to repeat the process over and over a real productivity killer in opinion.

Can this be reviewed for the final of 8?

I want thiings to be simple and straight forward w/ little if no workarounds.

rsf
2005-03-23, 12:02 AM
Hello.
Let me take advantage of having a developer here :-)
I'm having problem with embeded walls and joins.
The finish wraping is occurring here it shouldn't.
Strangely sometimes it inespectadly it fixes this but next time I open the progect the strange join reapears.
Another thing I notice when creating this file is that sometimes when I cut the two coincident wall the edges between then still show in the coplanar face.
Well...hope you can take a look at the file and tell me whats a bug, what's not foreseen and what is working has it should.
Thanks

PS: Just another thing...shouldn't wrap conditions be an instance parameter???

tamas
2005-03-23, 03:15 PM
Hello.
Let me take advantage of having a developer here :-)
I'm having problem with embeded walls and joins.
The finish wraping is occurring here it shouldn't.
Strangely sometimes it inespectadly it fixes this but next time I open the progect the strange join reapears.
Another thing I notice when creating this file is that sometimes when I cut the two coincident wall the edges between then still show in the coplanar face.
Well...hope you can take a look at the file and tell me whats a bug, what's not foreseen and what is working has it should.
Thanks

PS: Just another thing...shouldn't wrap conditions be an instance parameter???
What you see is a bug and I filed it yesterday (to myself ;-) based on your other post.

tamas
2005-03-23, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. But, to me this is so counter productive. I spen several hours creating all of these wall conditions that we decide to change w/wall imbeds and we have to pull apart all of these corners to do this. Think about what you guys are telling us to do!

The frustration comes with adjusting the walls after (I have done this) you will have to repeat the process over and over a real productivity killer in opinion.

Can this be reviewed for the final of 8?

I want thiings to be simple and straight forward w/ little if no workarounds. I agree that this could be made easier.
The problem comes from that before you can embed a regular wall to the other, it has to be drawn overlapping. And overlap condition is not well liked by Revit, especially when it comes to wall joins... Once the wall is embedded, the two no longer overlaps, so the wall joins start to behave.

I have not tried these, but here are two other tips that may help:

Once you laid down your host walls and start to make the embedded ones, make sure you embed them before they reach the corner of their host. Once embedded, you can still drag their ends, or use trim to join them. This way you can avoid wall joins between overlapping walls.

Or another:
- Disallow wall join on the embedded walls,
- Embed wall
- Allow wall joins on the embedded wall

luigi
2005-03-23, 03:51 PM
Or as an alternative,
which alternative?

tamas
2005-03-23, 05:04 PM
which alternative?
Sorry guys, I accidently left that in. It is now removed from my post.