PDA

View Full Version : Stringer problem

pfrederico
2005-03-23, 12:21 AM
It's me again! Your favorite Revit newbie nusicance :P

After solving the problem with that ramp something else arised.

I'm modelling my college... The current problem is with a set of multi-level stairs. I'd like to know if it's possible and how to change my stairs' stringers to work like the ones on the photograph.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I know I haven't edited the railings yet, but I'd first like to hear what you have to say on the problem at hand.

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-23, 12:45 AM
Don't consider yourself a nuisance...everyone has questions from time to time and not all of this stuff is intuitive.

To answer your question though: if you go into your stair sketch, the outside green lines are the stringer lines. All you have to do is pull them out and they will land like you want to. If you want the railing to die into the landing railing, just click on it (by itself, not the stair editor), go into edit mode and pull it out as well. I've noticed this takes some eye-balling to get it right.

Danielle

pfrederico
2005-03-23, 07:44 AM
I'm not quite following... (hence the nuisance. here we go again...)

If I pull the stringers back they won't be connecting to the landing will they??

Did you mean "push" instead of pull?!

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-23, 05:08 PM
Okay--I've got some visual aids to help me out here...try these:

sfaust
2005-03-23, 05:13 PM
wow, I didn't know you could do that. Learn something new every day! thanks

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-23, 05:42 PM
...wow, I didn't know you could do that...
No kidding...the subtlety of that escaped me for a long time too.

By extending (pushing and pulling) the boundary line at landings and such you are able to alter how Revit works out the stringers. See the attached winder stair example I did for someone a few weeks back. The interior corners are awkward and you'd have to build more space between the outside stair runs to clean that up, but then that sort of defeats the point of using winders?

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-23, 06:39 PM
Now if we could just get the factory to give us multi-landing wrap-around stairs...I am finding that I am always in need of exit stairs that wrap more than once and it is a pain to have to add a landing, add landing railings and then fix all the stringers, etc. 8)

cadkiller
2005-03-23, 07:16 PM
See the attached winder stair example I did for someone a few weeks back.

Steve;

I wonder who that might have been for. :-)

It would be nice to be able to manually remove some of those miters on the outside stringers.
Also would be nice if I could alter the inside stringers at the winder conditions some how.
Where I could place a solid transition piece to connect the two stringers together.
Like a 1 1/2" solid bar that has a mitered top and bottom to match the slopes.

pfrederico
2005-03-23, 07:44 PM
That was it? That was what I had done when you suggested. Well, at least I got the point. With some some tweaks to the stringer settings and by pulling them I managed to get the stairs I wanted. Found out that actually the levels were a bit off meaning that in the third floor there was actually little more than 1 meter between the floor and the ceiling... duh!

I have still one final question though, about the railings... heh... how do I connect these?

DanielleAnderson
2005-03-23, 07:47 PM
I have still one final question though, about the railings... heh... how do I connect these?

Hmm...I'm not sure there's a fix for the interior wrapped railing, at least not one that I have discovered. Anybody else have a suggestion on that one?
I know you can fix the outer railing the same way you fix the stringer though...

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-23, 10:19 PM
I have still one final question though, about the railings... heh... how do I connect these?You need to add a little more landing before the upper run of stairs starts. This way Revit has a little horizontal plane to hit before trying to turn the corner.

pfrederico
2005-03-24, 02:18 AM
I talked too soon. I still have a problem left.

I'm trying to close the railing so as to make it into one run (like it happens in real life) but instead I got this freak error (see attachment).