PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Raised Access Floors

Monkey91
2016-03-23, 11:21 AM
We’ve been trying to achieve a way to implement a raised access floor (RAF) into a Revit model. Our requirements are to be able to view a 600x600 panel grid, whilst also being able to move all furniture when the grid moves. We know you can assign the 600x600 pattern to a standard floor, but when the grid is moved, furniture will not move along with the grid; unless each family has been locked to a specific line. Locking hundreds of furniture to individual lines is a task nobody wants to do. We want to be able to simply load families into a project and when the setting out grid moves, the furniture moves with it.

We’ve come up with a method of creating a concept ceiling (with a 600x600 square pattern), which is moved down to finish floor level, so in essence we are treating the ceiling as a floor. All required families, such as tables, have either been loaded or created in a new 'Metric Generic Model Ceiling Based' family, giving the newly created family the properties of a ceiling based element. This allows the families to move when the grid is moved; meaning the task of locking every family to a specific grid line is no longer required.

But at the end of the day, we are still ‘cheating’ Revit, as our floor is in fact a ceiling. Has anyone else come across a better solution?

arkyletecture694360
2016-03-23, 03:04 PM
I don't see an easy solution either... the only other thing I could think of is treating the furniture as a structural family and making a structural grid to match your floor grid. Since structural columns move with structural grids automatically, this might be viable, but it is still a Revit "cheat", not to mention now your furniture is of the wrong category.

damon.sidel
2016-03-28, 06:30 PM
What about something so simple it sounds dumb? You could group all the furniture that sits on the RAF and move it when you move the grid pattern.

bt.commenter343255
2016-03-29, 11:26 PM
What about something so simple it sounds dumb? You could group all the furniture that sits on the RAF and move it when you move the grid pattern.

Since I like simple and dumb, that is the solution that popped into my head also.

Monkey91
2016-03-30, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We haven't tried the structural grid option yet, but it sounds like another possibility. We'll let you know which we find more suitable once we've tested it.

As for grouping the furniture, we agree that would be the simplest method. However with this model being used by different people, the chances of somebody forgetting to group the furniture together is high, which may cause potential problems further down the line. So if we can, we're trying to avoid this option.