PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Making shed roofs follow irregular lot boundary

polylop
2016-03-27, 11:30 AM
I've been using Autocad for a long time but I'm very new to revit so...
Well, I made a shed roof by extrusion (since I had trouble doing it the default way due to the irregular lot) and it succeeded but I'm wondering, how do I now trim the edges of the roof so that they follow the shape of the lot?

david_peterson
2016-03-29, 02:03 PM
Depending on what you're looking to do, one trick I've used in the past was to model beyond where I need it and use an in-place void to cut the roof.
Just a thought.

Dimitri Harvalias
2016-03-29, 08:59 PM
...use an in-place void to cut the roof...

Similar to an in-place void you can select the roof and use the 'vertical opening' tool that pops up on the ribbon. The advantage of this approach is the void stays associated with the roof and will move with it without the need to manage two different objects.

polylop
2016-03-30, 12:23 PM
Thanks, I have a new question. How do I change the visibility of the columns in such a way that they display as black fills?
I've tried using Visibility/Graphics but it only shows up as filled if it's not within a wall. When it's within a wall, only the portion that doesn't mix with the wall gets shown as filled in black.

david_peterson
2016-03-30, 12:44 PM
You can change the cut pattern of the column to be solid black assuming you're columns are set up to show as cut by default.
There was a setting that adesk changed/added back in 2012 I think that allowed you to set columns to show cut regardless of cut plane.
So depending on how you've created the columns and the settings within the families, the VG override should work just fine.
Opps should have asked are you looking at Concrete or steel columns?
If the materials are the same there's a new join options I believe that allows you to set what cuts what. If they're the same material, I believe the Wall rules by default.

polylop
2016-03-30, 01:33 PM
Is there any way I could subvert that join? I've been looking through the web for an option to unjoin but with no luck.

david_peterson
2016-03-30, 01:53 PM
If you're talking about the Void form, Simply delete it or Uncut.
What are you joining together that you can't unjoin?

polylop
2016-03-30, 02:33 PM
I think I misunderstood your previous post, I got the fill effect now. Thanks..

david_peterson
2016-03-30, 02:45 PM
If you're trying to show the cut pattern of a column, there's an option within the family to "show pre-cut in plan view" so if the cut plan is above the top of column it would still show cut.
I'm not sure one why they added that "Feature" since it makes no sense to me. If the column it cut in plan it's cut.
Anyway, glad I could help.