PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8

thommenbodo
2005-03-23, 02:12 PM
Will Revit Building 8 have any sort of automatic framing capabilities?

luigi
2005-03-23, 02:25 PM

nda ;)

luigi
2005-03-23, 04:11 PM
Have you thought of using the Beam System with a framing member? (in 7.0)

aaronrumple
2005-03-23, 05:26 PM
...having worked with beam systems, I can assure you that would be a pita.

luigi
2005-03-23, 06:05 PM
A pita in a sense as it would be easy? or a pita as in it would allow the juice to soak through and drip on your sweater? :D

Kroke
2005-03-23, 06:56 PM
Pain in the arse.

thommenbodo
2005-03-23, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking about automatic framing for roofs, walls, floors. Something like Softplan, VertexBD and to some extent(i beleive) Archicad already has.

Joef
2005-03-23, 10:19 PM
I would advise that if you are seriously thinking about framing you should look elsewhere. Framing in Revit is a very manual operation. You cannot even use the structural framing (dimension lumber, etc.) that ships with the program unless you want to manually place each end of every structural member. It is an embarrassment for Revit. You cannot even build a simple deck with Revit without a lot of hassle.

beegee
2005-03-23, 10:22 PM
Certainly there is room for improvement, ... but 7.0's beam system can be quite a handy tool.

Joef
2005-03-23, 10:48 PM
The beam system would be a lot handier if it didn't leave this (see attached) as a result. You now have to go and pull each end of every beam so that it touches. When you pull the beam end there is no way of knowing that you have the beams touching. Pull too far and it will bury itself in the middle of the adjoining beam and you have to start over. It is guess work. You cannot use the align tool. As Aaron said, it is a pita.

dg
2005-03-23, 10:52 PM
I'm thinking about automatic framing for roofs, walls, floors. Something like Softplan, VertexBD and to some extent(i beleive) Archicad already has.

I was really impressed with Allplan's automatic roof framing, and also that from Arcon.

beegee
2005-03-23, 10:52 PM
I've used the beam system successfully for auto framing rafters and floor joists where they overhang the beams they bear on. Works well there - but not when they abut as per your example.

The beam system would be a lot handier if it didn't leave this (see attached) as a result. You now have to go and pull each end of every beam so that it touches. When you pull the beam end there is no way of knowing that you have the beams touching. Pull too far and it will bury itself in the middle of the adjoining beam and you have to start over. It is guess work. You cannot use the align tool. As Aaron said, it is a pita.