PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Best Method to add 2 floors to a building

david_peterson
2016-04-12, 05:45 PM
I have a current project that we were told by the client that we needed to design for 2 floors in the future.
So we've accommodated the extra load in the structure and took that into consideration for exiting.
Well we just finished up CD's for the Core and Shell of the building.
Now the client says they might want to add that 2 floors on right away.
So they want us to get started on it, but they need to come to a decision.
Of course they want to see it before they make their choice.
At the same time we need to finish the rest of the building, and as always the completion date isn't moving.
So here's the conundrum. How do I go about adding 2 floors to a building and completely remodeling another floor as options?
I've got 7-8 people working on it so I'm thinking design options are kind of out of the question since they create their own workset.
Since I know I'm going to have more than one person working on them, I don't think that's going to work out so well, unless I do a different design option for each floor/core area and exterior. I'm not really liking that idea.

So I'm thinking I can copy over what I have and start another model that will just contain these additional floor along with the remodeled floor that's already been issued. I could then link them together and bind them when they finally make their decision.

But I've never used the bind a link option so I'm looking for some advice there.

If anyone else has any other advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

CAtDiva
2016-04-12, 06:43 PM
Before I got to the end of your post, I was already thinking "separate model". The only caution I have to binding them in later is that if your future model is phased you could lose some information as everything in the linked model is brought in at whatever phase is assigned to the view you are in when you bind it.

david_peterson
2016-04-14, 04:30 PM
Since we were 95% sure they were going to move forward with it, we just decided to archive the old and add the new floors.
We were going to go the separate model method but we figured it was going to be easier to just delete the stuff if needed.
Either way there was going to be a ton of extra work.
This option works just fine as long as they don't decide they want this as an add alt.

Craig_L
2016-04-18, 07:52 AM
Why not use "design options"?
Or phase it, add a phase "future floors" and assign them to that phase you can always filter them out using either the phasing or the design options features.

david_peterson
2016-04-19, 04:37 PM
Design options would limit the number of people that can be in it.
I've got to big of a team to try design options.
Design options come with their own individual workset. That would be the problem.
Phasing was plan B.