PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Sloping site, 7 types of townhouses in 1 site model project

rockstarmsg
2016-04-14, 05:44 AM

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask for any suggestions or tips, before i proceed and start this townhouse project in revit. i have done 3 revit projects so far but all are single multi storey buildings, so this is my first time to do multiple buildings in one site that is sloping, i browsed some forums and found some topics regarding "multiple buildings 1 site" but all have flat terrain and no discussion regarding elevations and sections.

-client requirement is that for overall plans, he wants to see all first floor plans of all the buildings in the "overall first storey plan" and so on..

-individual sets of drawings for each type of building.

-3d site plan with all the buildings present in their correct location, elevation and orientation for rendering and presentation purposes

my plans are:

-to model each building separately in their own revit file- do i publish its coordinates? or should i settle all coordinate system in the site plan?

-site plan to contain linkways, auxilliary and M&E structures

-I'm still trying to figure out the link file and link views option,but for the overall plans, elevations, sections- i plan to use link views, instead of link revit file, anything wrong with this approach in the long run?

-i need to link revit file as i need the 3dmodel as well for presentation, and i need to link view as well as i think it is the best way to show all the correct plans show up in the overall plans (as i have different elevations)

-i did a quick site plan and 2 building models and did a quick link revit files test--->in the site plan where the 2 buildings are linked,i noticed in the section and elevation views, that even the spot elevations are displaying the correct values, the buildings are still in the same level, do i have to move the building manually to the correct elevation? is this the right way to move the building up or down to its correct elevation?

- i have attached a simple image of the site plan.

- any inputs, advice, and suggestions?

-thank you all in advance.

Revitaoist
2016-04-15, 04:39 PM
The fatal mistake most users make is getting this idea in their head that they need to have all views set in one file so they can just hit print and the whole plan set spits out with no work in post. Go that route only if you are getting paid by the hour. If you want to do it right, go your route with links, but make sure all the documentation and views for each building is done in its own file. Use the site file for overall views, site info, and common details. You will lose some of Revit's intelligence if you try documenting in links. The amount of work you will save yourself more than compensates for needing to consolidate the PDFs after printing from each RVT.

Craig_L
2016-04-18, 07:37 AM
It's really a case of personal preference in this particular example.

I have done a project with 5 unit blocks all in one property and did it all in one project. I had absolutely no issues doing it this way.
The benefit was from the ground level which was common and all of the connecting walkways, I didn't have to mess about with linked files and setting up multiple project norths etc. I found this method was fine for what I needed on that project.

If you need to orient each building differently (on paper) for your project north, then you kind of have no other option than splitting them up individually.

If you are needing to set up coordinates, I suggest set up a master file first for your topo surface. Get your coordinates right in this one, then use this to create each building seperately from this master file. Now when you import the other files you will end up with everything in the right place. It will just be a matter of changing the project coordinates for each building but leaving your site coordinates fixed.

Another benefit you have in splitting it up is that if one file corrupts you don't lose your whole project, you also have individual models you can farm out to colleagues if things get too busy, without having to set up worksets.