PDA

View Full Version : 2016 linking SAT file to Revit

Duncan Lithgow
2016-04-26, 06:35 AM
I'm having a nightmare getting a SAT file (in this case a water treatment plant) to show up in Revit without crippling my model so it is unresponsive for long periods of time and very hard to work with. I'm assuming the file will only grow in size in the coming weeks so this problem will just get bigger. :banghead:

They are providing me with a SAT file and a DWG file. What are my options? I have all the software of the Ultimate Buidling Design Suite plus Rhino and SketchUp. The Inventor users will probably be happy to help if I have a solution that doesn't take them much effort to implement.

I'm only proficient in Revit and 2d AutoCAD. Here's what I've tried so far:
* Importing the SAT file to AutoCAD and trying to export it to various formats. Nothing seems to have helped much here.
* Importing the 3d DWG, but when I shift to VSShaded things just disappear from the geometry.
* The Inventor users have 'hidden' flanges, vents and other small bits and pieces before export.

I've found a workflow for making 2d DWG of the SAT file, putting 3d views on sheets in Revit and exporting them to DWG.

Nothing I've done so far get me around the problem that the SAT file is behaving as 'non-cuttable' in the model and weighing the model down (when loaded) to the point of being almost unusable.

I hope mt friends in here will share their experience and suggestions. :beer:

Duncan Lithgow
2016-05-05, 08:25 PM
Really? No one got anything?

Steve_Stafford
2016-05-05, 10:00 PM
Well your is a pretty specific issue and we've got nothing to work with directly ourselves...so many variables.

I'd try loading the family into a separate project as part of an in-place family (Generic Model) so it can be "cuttable". Link that model.

If it really is the whole plant in one file then see if they can reduce the SAT file to smaller portions, several sections or systems, so those can be loaded more selectively, relevant to views of the Revit project. Also use Worksets to assign the (each) link in a way that they can be loaded only when really needed.

Consider using placeholders instead and do coordination with Navisworks which is better tuned for lighter weight model viewing for that work.

Duncan Lithgow
2016-05-05, 10:16 PM
Thanks Steve. I tried loading it into a family and several things disappeared from the file, I haven't worked out why yet, they say it has something to do with there being some Inventor 'parts' which are from manufacturers, don't know why that's relevant. You're right of course that I can ask them to create smaller files from sub-assemblies or whatever they'd call them. I hadn't thought of that, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Revitaoist
2016-05-05, 10:55 PM
There are some features in AutoCAD MEP that seems to convert those better for playing well with Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2016-05-06, 12:33 AM
...I tried loading it into a family...Just to be clear...NOT a family (RFA) but an in-place family in a project (RVT). Link the file while editing an in-place family (Generic Model for example). That's an established trick for getting a linked DWG file to behave as a cuttable element.

david_peterson
2016-05-06, 08:51 PM
I seem to remember some workflow of opening a .sat file in Inventor and the exporting out as a rfa.
Not sure if you've tried that or if it even works. I don't deal with them much.
Best of luck.

Craig_L
2016-05-09, 07:35 AM
Do you have the Revit suite (ie navisworks, 3ds max etc in the bundle?)
If so, import the SAT file into navisworks, then export from there as an IFC, or DWF or other format, you may even be able to export as an RVT file I haven't tried that (but Im doubting it exists).
However IFC is definitely an option.
Then you can just import it as an IFC.

angel.velez
2016-05-19, 05:17 PM
Hi Duncan, we'd be very interested to see your SAT file and further understand your workflow. Could you send an email to revit.apps@autodesk.com so that we can follow up? Regards, Angel

jjbenstead
2016-05-19, 11:25 PM
Without trawling through all the responses...
Have you tried linking the SAT file directly in Revit? (using Link CAD)
(you haven't listed that in what you have tried so far)

Regards

Duncan Lithgow
2016-06-16, 09:51 PM
Hi there good people. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread. The project was crazy rushed out the door, and now I'm on a different one.

@Steve: I didn't realize until you said it that it must be an in-place family. I will remember that for another time. Thanks.
@angel.velez: I will investigate getting permission to send Autodesk the file.
@jjbenstead: thanks for the suggestion, yes I had tried that... I strongly suggest you do read all the responses before replying. Otherwise threads just get longer and longer with no new information.