PDA

View Full Version : 2016 What happened to all my settings?!?!

patricks
2016-05-10, 01:30 PM
I recently ran the Revit 2016 R2 UR4 last week. Then last night I was working from home using Remote Desktop to my office workstation, with a project file open, and at one point I was doing something in a drawing and suddenly the Revit update process popped up, then finished saying I had to either close Revit or restart the computer. I did not restart since I was logged in remotely.

Now today I come in the office and Revit 2016 still reports that it's R2 UR4, but ALL my user settings have been wiped out!! Revit opened with the Recent File screen (which I always disable), all my Keyboard Shortcuts are gone, all the other settings are back to factory defaults. The only thing that is still correct are the Places list along the left side of the File Open/Save window, and my quick access toolbar settings.

Are all those settings stored in a file somewhere that I might be able to retrieve from Shadow Copy? The User Settings aren't such a big deal, but I had created a few new keyboard shortcuts recently but didn't save it out to a file anywhere.

patricks
2016-05-10, 02:24 PM
I managed to get my Keyboard Shortcuts back using the file contained in \user\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit 2016 from last week using Shadow Copy.

I still don't understand why this happened.

DaveP
2016-05-10, 07:44 PM
The "Master Copy" of the Revit.ini is kept in
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2016\UserDataCache
That's the file that the Deployment or Install creates ans copies for a new user.
Why it overwrote your copy is a mystery.
Maybe it thought that you were a new user since you were remoted in?

patricks
2016-05-12, 04:26 PM
The "Master Copy" of the Revit.ini is kept in
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2016\UserDataCache
That's the file that the Deployment or Install creates ans copies for a new user.
Why it overwrote your copy is a mystery.
Maybe it thought that you were a new user since you were remoted in?

When I connect to my workstation via RDP, I use a different domain login name so that my regular desktop doesn't get messed up, since I only have one screen at home. Also likewise when using Revit through RDP I have a different worksharing name matching the different login name (also helps other people know I'm working in the file from home, and it didn't just leave stuff checked out or borrowed by mistake). When this all happened it did NOT appear to affect the settings for my remote user login, but it DID affect the settings for my regular in-office user login. So weird!

eschappe
2016-05-13, 02:41 PM
We too had this issue on a computer here in the office, it seemed to be isolated to just one user thus far. We too pushed out R2 UR4 for 2016 the night before this happened. I basically did the same thing that DaveP mention and it resolved the issue.
The odd thing that I noticed though was that I tried just re-pathing the template files within Revit at first and it worked until she restarted Revit the next day. After it gave her the same issue the next morning, I went to look at her INI file on her C drive, assuming the changes I made within Revit would still be in there, it was completely empty and had been last modified that morning after the update went out.

So I am a little confused as to why she was the only one with this issue, much less why my changes within Revit to the file locations were never saved to the local INI file.