PDA

View Full Version : Sweep solids in curtainwall panels

studio3p
2003-11-30, 07:04 PM
I am trying to make a Marvin casement curtainwall panel. I've created the unit using both the wincow curtainwall panel family template and by starting with the awning family that's available with Revit. Here are my steps:

A. Create sweep solid: 1) define the sweep path; 2) lock the path edges to the reference planes; 3) create the sweep profile. *Note - Initially I created a sweep for the clad exterior and another for the wood interior, but simplified it in an effort to trouble shoot.
B. When I move the reference planes within the family file the frame flexes as I would expect.
C. When I load the family into a project I receive an error message telling me it can't create that type using the new family.
D. I've then returned to the family panel and unlocked the path from the reference planes.
E. With the reloaded family I can swap the panel for my new panel, but the panel doesn't expand to fit the curtainwall panel.

Is this making any sense? I then used the awning family that comes with Revit to make my family. Same result. Is there a limitation within the world of curtainwalls against the use of sweeps?[/list]

PeterJ
2003-11-30, 09:10 PM
There shouldn't be a limitation on the sweep but you could achieve the same with an extrusion if the sweep is caiusing a problem.

beegee
2003-11-30, 09:44 PM
Hi Joseph,

Rather than try to guess the problem, can you post the family so that one of us can take a look ?

studio3p
2003-11-30, 09:52 PM
Here is the family file. I do not currently have a glass component in place because I want to reduce the number of parts in order to isolate the problem.

Thanks.

PeterJ
2003-12-01, 09:38 AM
Firstly, you need to be using a curtain wall window as your template, not a curtain wall panel. After that it gets trickier. I made a quick test one this morning and while it will insert in the curtain wall, I am also having problems making the sweep work.

It seems that the sweep will not retain its dimensions, even if defined by ref planes and locked dimensions when the path moves. The reason you were told 'couldn't create type' is probably that in some way it overlapped itself casuing an error in the sweep. If you play with your grid you may still be able to make that work by finding a size where it doesn't intersect. It looks to me like a bug, but I have made few curtain wall components so I haven't paid so much attention to people reporting bugs in this area.