PDA

View Full Version : 2016 eTransmit: use central or local file?

drubinoff
2016-05-12, 05:11 PM
When I use eTransmit to send our shared Revit model to an engineer, should I point eTransmit to the central file on the server or my local file on my hard drive?

Thanks,
Derek

CAtDiva
2016-05-12, 06:59 PM
When I use eTransmit to send our shared Revit model to an engineer, should I point eTransmit to the central file on the server or my local file on my hard drive?

Thanks,
Derek

Point it to your central file ... after making sure your team has sync'd and closed the project.

patricks
2016-05-13, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure how eTransmit works, but we use ShareFile to upload/download ours and consultants' Revit models, and we always just upload the Central file. For the most part no one is ever looking in the folder on their local machines where local files are saved. And if you only link another Revit file in without actually opening the model, it won't give you any "Central file has been moved" messages.

CAtDiva
2016-05-13, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure how eTransmit works, but we use ShareFile to upload/download ours and consultants' Revit models, and we always just upload the Central file. For the most part no one is ever looking in the folder on their local machines where local files are saved. And if you only link another Revit file in without actually opening the model, it won't give you any "Central file has been moved" messages.

eTransmit does several things that I've noticed:
1) It does a "detach from central" for you, so you don't get the "Central file has been moved" message.
2) You can tell it to include linked files (Revit, CAD, images, keynotes, etc.) ... or you can exclude them.
3) It pulls everything into a separate folder, creating an record of when you sent the model, which I find useful as an archive.

drubinoff
2016-05-13, 11:44 PM
Point it to your central file ... after making sure your team has sync'd and closed the project.

Thank you!

pdickman
2016-05-31, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=CAtDiva;1313093]eTransmit does several things that I've noticed:
1) It does a "detach from central" for you, so you don't get the "Central file has been moved" message.
QUOTE]

Are linked Revit files also detached from central?

CAtDiva
2016-05-31, 04:07 PM
eTransmit does several things that I've noticed:

Are linked Revit files also detached from central?

Yes, they're all processed the same.