PDA

View Full Version : Non-Structural Beams/Soffits

me.76945
2005-03-23, 08:57 PM
I am new to Revit and I am learning as I go. I am working on a space that has several stepped soffits and beams running across the ceiling. I have searched through the help files and Tutorials, but can't seem to find any insight as to how to handle these elements. I have used "floating" walls to create the soffit faces, with ceiling planes for the under side. I have used the join tool to connect the ceiling to the wall, but the finishes don't wrap the bottom of the wall. Is there another way to create this detail?

As for the false beams, some of these are exposed on four sides, some on only three. Can someone please suggest an approach for these beams that would allow me to apply materials to all sides?

PeterJ
2005-03-23, 09:07 PM
I think you are on the right track. Look at exactly what level your walls start from. I think it should work if you set the base of the wall to the same level as the top of the ceiling and then do join geometry.

The solid beam can be done with a simple family using the generic family template instead of the structural one.

me.76945
2005-03-23, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Pete.

I have the base of the wall and bottom plane of the ceiling at the same height. They are both gyp board on mtl studs. When I cut a detail section of the soffit, the studs seem to have joined, but the walls gyp board finish stops at the top of the ceilings studs. Is there a wrap setting that I need to check? Or, is there a manual approach? Or do I just pick this up in a detail by drafting the finish in?

I am pretty raw on the creation of a new family element, but I am diving in to see if I can make your suggestion work.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

sevensixfive
2007-10-12, 06:36 PM
*bump*

I've got the same problem here, base of soffit wall is the same as my gyp. board ceiling height, but the drywall isn't wrapping even after the geometry's joined.

Melarch
2007-10-15, 12:46 AM
You could try unlocking the gyp. brd. layer of the wall in the Element Properties for the wall Type under the Type properties dialog box section to Edit Structure. OPen the Preview window button and place the wall view into Section. The buttons at the bottom that were grayed out will be accessible. Select the Modify Button and in the Preview window place your mouse arrow cursor under the bottom line in the drywall layer and select it. A Lock will appear and you need to select the lock to unlock it.

Select OK until you are out of the dialog boxes and when you select the soffit wall type you will see two arrow controls at the bottom of the wall. Pull the drywall layer arrow down to align with the ceiling drywall. Now select the Join geometry and it should clean up the drywall layers between the soffit wall and ceiling.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

pleasantc
2007-11-13, 02:40 PM
When drawing the sketch for the ceiling, the lines should be offset 5/8" (the thickness of the gyp) in from the face of the soffit walls. This will allow them to join properly. You will have to use the Linework Tool to make that offset line invisible in the RCP.