PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Attach wall to roof and floor simultaneously

CADtoBIM
2016-05-27, 06:56 AM
Hello,
First, greetings to all as this is my first post. I am starting with a question, but will try to contribute more answers in the future :) . Can please someone help me with the following issue...

I would like to build an attic underneath the sloped roof with walls and upper floor/ceiling (see attached image). Walls should only go up to the floor level (not all the way to the sloped roof). However some walls at the side of the sloped roof and below the floor level should attach to roof. Attach Top/Base only works for one type of attachment (roof or floor), but not both. I could only think of this workaround:
- split the wall at the intersection of roof and floor
- attach the wall under sloped roof to the roof
- attach the wall under floor to the floor
But… what if I want to place a door right where these two splitted walls meet?
It seems strange to me that this type of wall attachment isn't Revit's basic function. However, it could also be my lack of knowledge :(.
Thank you and my Best regards

Dimitri Harvalias
2016-05-27, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the forum.
You can accomplish what you want if you 'edit profile' of the wall. This will allow you to sketch, or pick, the outline of the wall.
Set the wall so Top Constraint is the upper floor.
Select the wall and Edit the profile to enter sketch mode.
Use the pick option and make sure you check the 'lock' option for the sketch lines.
pick the underside of the roof and trim the sketch.
By using the pick and lock approach if the slope of the roof changes Revit will adjust the sketch automatically to keep it locked to the roof.

CADtoBIM
2016-05-29, 06:31 PM
Yes, problem solved! Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.
It seems so easy and obvious now :)

Craig_L
2016-06-02, 08:34 AM
I personally dislike the "modify profile" option, it can cause some weird issues at ends of walls and intersections with other walls.
You can achieve what you are asking easily by using the "attach top/bottom" tool when you select a wall.
You will see once you choose "attach top/bottom" another set of options (very small) just underneath your ribbons.
Here you can choose "top" or "bottom" to attach (and then select the object to attach it to).

Oh also modify profile does horrible horrible things to the wall footing tool

CADtoBIM
2016-06-02, 11:45 AM
Sorry, but basic Attach Top/Bottom don’t work in this case. I've tried it before and it only gives me one selection to align to. If I align it to roof, the wall will go beyond the upper floor. And if I attach it to the floor, the wall will stick out of the roof.
I did use this tool when wall attached to just one element, but when aligning to two elements (roof and floor), modifying profile solved it nicely. I didn’t get any weird results, but now that you mention, I will pay attention to it in the future.

patricks
2016-06-03, 08:52 PM
I discovered this behavior several years ago and posted about it here: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?75140-Problem-attaching-tops-and-bottoms-of-walls Unfortunately my attached images are no longer there.

A wall attached to a roof will only extend up the portion directly under the roof. A wall attached to a floor pulls up the entire length of the wall, even the part not under the floor. It's weird. If there is a floor and roof that are not touching, and you attach the wall to both, the floor will pull up the whole length of the wall that is NOT under the roof. The rest of the wall will follow the profile of the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy solution!

If you make the bottom surface of the floor just barely below the bottom sloped edge of the roof (don't let the bottom floor surface edges touch the bottom roof surface), then Attach will work for both the floor and the roof, WITHOUT having to edit the wall's profile. So you might just need to pull the edge of your floor sketch outline in slightly so they don't touch the roof. And it can be a very tiny increment so you won't even notice it in section or elevation views.

CADtoBIM
2016-06-06, 06:06 AM
Yes! I’ve read your old thread and got it! This sentence really lit my bulb:
’’I am always trying to stress in our office that *order of operations* certainly matters in this pesky program!’’

I first attached walls straight through the floor up to the roof, and then again back down to the floor… and voilá!
But from what you’ve wrote, it can get weird in more complex situations. Will certainly keep in mind these workarounds ;)
Thanks a lot!

Craig_L
2016-06-06, 01:12 PM
I've done it the following way also in the past -

Place a reference plane at the underside of the roof line for both sides of the slope.
You need to split your wall into two pieces at the vertex.
Attach the bottom of the wall to the floor and the top to the reference plane.

This works just fine, I often split walls up into smaller pieces to achieve differing shapes or parts where part of the wall goes past the attach point etc.
The only thing to keep in mind is that later if you are naming your walls for scheduling etc that you will have duplicate numbers in the "identity" data of the wall.