PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with exterior pilaster?

Tibor
2005-03-23, 10:24 PM
Attached is a screen shot of masonry pilaster & masonry cavity wall detail.
The wall and the pilaster are compound walls with continuous horizontal sweeps bands. The pilaster is made up of a single wythe brick wall. I would really like it if the pilaster did not insist on extending itself to the concrete block. In real life construction, the exterior brick (shown at the bottom) wraps around the pilaster - and I would like to get as close as possible to that on the drawing.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.

J. Grouchy
2005-03-23, 10:35 PM
I created two separate wall types (see image below).

The first is the exterior wall - CMU backup, airspace, brick.
The second is the pilaster - Brick, airspace, CMU backup, airspace, brick. Wrap exterior at ends and wrap finish materials (airspace and brick). Material thickness can be adjusted to whatever you like, of course.

When you draw one perpendicular to the other, you get the below image...

Hope this helps.

BTW - be sure all your materials match or you will get lines where wrapping should occur.

Tibor
2005-03-23, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I played around with the two wall concept and I can make everything work so far, including horizontal reveals and embedded curtain walls (curtain wall has to cut both masonry walls).

J. Grouchy
2005-03-24, 12:14 AM
That brings up a good point...wall sweeps don't work automatically on the pilaster as I show it...since the exterior face is technically the 'end' of the wall. Here, what I would then do is edit the sweep return then align that return end with another object (end of opposing sweep, corner of wall, etc.).

Tibor
2005-03-24, 04:50 AM
To solve that problem, the exterior wall is a compound wall, incorporating all horizontal sweeps. Actually, it works quite well. I appreciated the tip.