PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Base Plate Family Issues

Andi
2016-06-09, 04:50 PM
I'm trying to place some 'out of the box' base plates with anchors between concrete piers and steel columns. Is there a way to control the elevation of the plate?

For some reason it is showing up upside down (anchors extending above the plate instead of below into the pier) so I flipped the family. Trouble is the plate is now embedded in the pier and I can't move it vertically. Any suggestions?

PijPiwo
2016-06-09, 11:54 PM
I’m not a structural guy, but I think the plate is meant to be attached to the column - it works fine in that case. You can control the elevation of the plate by adjusting the column base offset. Or, place your plate on the concrete, if you prefer that and hit the ‘flip work plane’ icon (see pic.). I don’t think you can control its elevation if you do that. Hope it helps.

Craig_L
2016-06-10, 09:37 AM
I have a face based plate
The face is designed to attach to the footing/slab (not the column)
In this family, I have added a grout layer which has a controllable thickness and also I can control the angled sides of the grout.
So technically it is the bottom face of the grout that attaches to the "face" of whatever slab/footing.
The rest, ie elevation of plate, is controlled through the thickness offset from the face it is placed on.

Andi
2016-06-10, 04:44 PM
PijPiwo was right, the family is designed to attached to the column, it was just having trouble finding the 'face' on the bottom as it is a thin section. I just had to find the right angle and hit tab until I found the face I was looking for. Thanks!