PDA

View Full Version : 2016 What is the best method of modelling a Mansard Roof in Revit Architecture?

Bennett21
2016-07-14, 02:49 PM
Below is an image taken from a Sketch-Up model of the type of mansard roof that I will be modelling in Revit next week.

I have watched a few tutorials but none seem to be able to give a flat top finish effectively with the roof sections joining together perfectly.

Any advice on this appreciated! :?::?::?:

CAtDiva
2016-07-14, 03:04 PM
I would build the roof as separate pieces: 1) The shallow sloped roof, 2) the steep sloped roof, and 3) the "flat" roof.

Bennett21
2016-07-14, 03:09 PM
Thanks CAtDiva.

A quick update: This is my first attempt at it. (See image 1)

It looks OK but I'm not 100% confident with it as it does not seem to join neatly and could look a mess in sectional views? (See image 2)

david_peterson
2016-07-14, 05:50 PM
Could you draw the flat slab (assuming it's flat) and then add a slab edge profile to make the mansard shape?
Just a quick thought.

Bennett21
2016-07-15, 07:52 AM
That's an idea i'll look into!
I've searched numerous forum listings and tutorials but there just doesn't seem to be a specific and perfect method this type of roof is done.
This seems to be a limitation on the software as it can be 'botched' to look rite but is always in the back of the mind that its not 100%.
Thanks for the help, if I find a more accurate method I will return with the info!

david_peterson
2016-07-15, 12:18 PM
Personally, I think 2 pieces would be the best.
The Mansard is going to be a uniform (well usually anyway) profile. So I think I would make that an inplace sweep. Then draw the floor/sloping roof as a true roof object.
This way you can get the shape your looking for on the mansard and the slope you need for the roof so you can pitch it to the drain.
The more you know about how it's going to be built the easier this should be.
I tend to model things as they would be built.