PDA

View Full Version : 2015 save as - project template

htlmv
2016-07-28, 03:03 PM
office is new to revit and the gentleman who created our first project has moved on. I'm trying to save the current project as a template project but the save as 'Template' is grayed out. the project is a file-based.

i'm assuming that i'm missing a step or two to create the project template from current project.

any help?

Thanks.
Howard

CAtDiva
2016-07-28, 04:04 PM
office is new to revit and the gentleman who created our first project has moved on. I'm trying to save the current project as a template project but the save as 'Template' is grayed out. the project is a file-based.

i'm assuming that i'm missing a step or two to create the project template from current project.

any help?

Thanks.
Howard

I'm not sure what you mean by "file-based", but if this is a workshared project, when you open it, you will want to check the "Detach from Central" box and then select "Discard worksets" when the keep or discard worksets question pops up. You cannot save a workshared project as a template.

htlmv
2016-07-28, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "file-based", but if this is a workshared project, when you open it, you will want to check the "Detach from Central" box and then select "Discard worksets" when the keep or discard worksets question pops up. You cannot save a workshared project as a template.

perfect.

thanks.

david_peterson
2016-08-01, 01:11 PM
There's always been a big debate on the pros and cons of workshared project based vs Template to start new projects.
They both have their upsides.
Since you can't set up worksets or VG or linked models in a template file, that might be why the previous person did what they did and it may make a lot of sense if there was a lot of set up done.
I know we debate it every 3mths or so as to doing it. We just haven't pulled the trigger yet as our projects range the full spectrum and we don't ever have a "Typical" project.
Just a thought.